• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

how safe is nassau? Still havent booked shore excursions.

Rate this topic

jennifer

Hubby, 5 yr old and I are going to Nassaua. We were going to walk to the Pirates of nassau because I read some where it is only $10 for admission but if you take the carnival excursion you pay $39 you get a bus ride there and you have to walk back to the ship?(not very far)

Also, I want to go to a quite beach,We want to find sea shells and build a sandcastle Any tips on a nice beach, and prices to get there? ?Blue lagoon, or another (but do not want to do dolphin/stingray encounters}

I also want to go to the straw market. We'll be there 7A- 3P Will we have time?

Jennifer, we have been to Nassau many times. In fact, our very first cruise, we sailed there. The kids were with us and we have walked all over the island and I never felt unsafe or saw anything that would cause alarm. I can't give you any advice on beaches there - we always go to the Straw Market and go over to Paradise Island. The first time we went, we took the kids to Coral World. The Straw Market is very close to the pier so hopefully you will have time to pay a visit there...

Nassau is a very friendly place and very safe. This port gets unfair bad reviews from many cruisers. I love it just think about it, you dock downtown, the Bahamanians speak English and the US dollar is accepted everywhere. The bus service will take you anywhere you want to go for $1.00. A nice trip is to take the #10 bus to Ardastra Gardens www.ardastra.com and if you have time , see the old Fort Charlotte on the hill, if your hungry get a conch salad at Arawak Key. If you want to stay in the area of the ship see the Queens Staircase, go to the library(the old Jail) take a walk to Gregory Arch and Government House (the guard will let you in). You could also visit the National Art Gallery. Watch out for people hawking Time shares & Hair braiding at $2.00 per braid. Most of the places mentioned have no or a nominal fee

jennifer,

I love Nassau. The inhabitants are very friendly.

My niece got married there last summer and the whole party felt pretty safe when we ventured out at night.

The Pirate's Museum and the Straw Market are both very close to the pier. Both are in walking distance from the pier so you can save some of the excursion money for something else.

Like jtutak said, the #10 bus is a nice bus line that terminates in Cable Beach. In between downtown and Cable Beach is a section of Nassau called Fish Fry where there are loads of seafood restaurants if you like to eat fresh caught fish.

I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise.

• 4 months later...

Nancy, we didn't use any of the beaches in Nassau. On Paradise Island, we have mainly shopped and of course, had to take in the Atlantis Hotel. Sorry I can't give you any info about the beaches but I am sure someone here can.