• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SHORE EXCURSIONS

Rate this topic

kayhi

Hi all,

I need help. We are booked on Carnival Conquest leaving Galveston on May 13th for a 7 day cruise. I haven't booked my shore excursions yet. We are interest in doing the Canapy Adventure Tour in Jamica but I would like to find out some more about it. It says you must be able to climb a 20 ft. ladder straight up. I can do that but I would like to know what else you need to be able to do. I'm not in bad shape but I'm not in the best shape either. Do you need a lot of strength. HELP ME Please. This is my first cruise. Thanks, :rolleyes2:

Happy to see you posting. I can't help you with info on the particular shore excursion, but I am sure if you contacted Carnival, they could give you any info you needed. We will be sailing on the Conquest some time after you - in Nov. Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

I'm not really sure about Carnival, but on Princess, each excursion is marked with an exertion label (easy to very difficult). I've had a lot of experience climbing ladders and you should be able to do 20 feet without needing a tremendous amount of strength. However, how are you at heights? I've had football players freeze on me halfway up a ladder because of heights. If you are good with them, then you should be okay. Just let your tour guide know and they will keep an eye on you.

Have a great cruise!

Charlie

kay_hi,

Welcome to Cruise Crazies!

Gregswife and Spikesgirl are right on target regarding asking information from the cruise lines. I'm sorry I can't give you first hand information because I've never participated in that excursion. There's nothing like receiving first hand experience. However, Carnivals site does have an exertion meter for its shore excursions and its usually determined by walking silhouettes from 1 to 5 walkers. The Canopy Adventure tour has 3 walkers. Here's the description for 3 walkers: alt textConsiderable Activity

Perhaps some other Cruise Crazies have first hand experience.

I'm just glad to see you posting and look forward to reading your review.

Hey there.

We too were interested but all of our party are disqualified. My daughter is too young and my husband and I are too heavy.

But I wanted to tell you where you can see the excursion (part of it) on tv. Travel Channel has an episode called 'Great Cruises' or something like that. It's about Royal Carribean's Freedom of the Seas with (iirc) Samantha Brown and you see her (very fit!) do many excursions. That cruise she went on hit 4 ports. 3 of which are also done by the Conquest out of Galveston on the 7 day western.

I watched my Tivo'ed episode over and over to get a feel for it! :-) I know it's RC and not Carnival, but the ports are the same!

Good luck!

:cool2: Welcome Kay. I can't really help w/ your particular question but let me say hello. As this is your first cruise (probably not your last) if there are any questions you have this is the place to ask. Let me toos in a few generalaties about cruising:

1. No cash! You will be given an ID card upon boarding and this serves like an onboard credit card. Carry this with you as you will need it to get off and on the ship and to amake any onboard purchase.

2. Carnival charges a flat rate of $10.00 per person per day for all tips. Feel free to give more if you wish to the cabin attendants, waiters etc.

3. All drinks purchased on board include a 15% gratuity.

4. Duty free shops on board will be open while at sea only and not while in port.

5. I would suggest not to worry about excursions. There will be plenty of cabs and private tour operators at the docks. They know the highlights of the islands and will save you $$. as this is your 1st cruise you may feel more comfortable doing excursions from the ship so its really up to you. Either way you are fine. Just be sure that if you use a private operator you are back on time. The ship won't wait under these circumstances.

6. Relax and have fun!! You will love it. Bon Voyage. Larry

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the Canopy Tour in Belize a couple of years ago. The same description for ability to climb 20 ft ladder was given. We had to trek up the side of a good size hill. Henceforth, Canopy tour, several people freaked a little.

My partner and I were a little winded. Now mind you, our exercise regime is minimal.

We had a blast.................You will too................