• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska question #2

Rate this topic

hazelson

Jenn... oh my goodness... Alaska!!! We'll be there in our RV whilst you are there on your cruise!

The Ulu - it's an extremely sharp bow shaped knife and no you won't have any problems bringing it home.

We also bought stax of tinned smoked salmon. You can't buy canned smoked salmon in Florida only that Pink Salmon in cans. I love making smoked salmon pate and dips.

Most of the other stuff it the usual touristy T-shirts and stuff. Although they make great mocassins as well - and we bought jackets there, because again you don't really get cold weather clothing in Florida.

What you are definitely going to bring home is the BEST memories and most fantastic photo's you have ever taken.

Suzila, we also fished there - in Ketchikan and it was the BEST excursion we have ever done on any cruise. There were only 4 of us and we caught so many fish. The smaller ones we threw up in the air and the Bald Eagles came swooping down and caught them. We have this on video - spectacular. We went with our fishing guide and our catch to their private island where they had a kitchen and chefs in the woods ...and they cooked our catch plus other delicacies for us on the beach. We had a three course meal plus many cups of hot chocolate to warm the tummy. They had even carved out a living Redwood tree and made it into a bathroom, gorgeous. Oh the pictures and memories!!! That's Alaska - unique.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zebra - the moccasins sound good - we need them hear in BC winters.

John - John - John - what can I say. I read your "review" on a full stomach - will re-read it again when my belly has rooms for laughs. You are a highly amusing guy. When do you cruise next - I think we will go along lol. Loved your photos too. Where did you see the reindeer?

Thanks guys.

Jennifer,

Glad you liked everything. The Alaska cruise was our first ever and I got a lot of help on boards like these so I enjoy it when I can help someone else.

The reindeer were at the end of the wildlife photography tour in Ketchikan. That's the one where we saw "traces" of the bear and a load of eagles.

The Juneau tram and the White Pass RR were the two BEST photo places. You can also do both the White pass and a dogsled gig in Skagway if you can time it right with the ship. Just be aware that leaves you ZERO time in the town itself.

Our next cruise is NY to Canada in July on Victory. Feel free to join us and say "eh". If not, I'll see if I can find some amusing stuff in Nova Scotia.

Once again, have a great time.

JG

My mom bought a set of wooden salad tongs that look like bear claws when we were up there. She loves them!

I don't usually buy souveniers, but "Alaskan Amber" beer from the Alaskan Brewing company is something I wish I saw here more often!

But, I usually just take photos, those are souveniers enough for me...

Oh yes I also have a pair of those salad tongs!

How could I have forgotten the Red Dog Saloon.... a Juneau institution!!!

We also did a Salmon Bake in Juneau one time - it was super!

When we were there, they collected all Ulu knives at the ship, just like liquor, and hold it until the last day, for safety reasons. That was on NCL Star. NCL also xrays even checked luggage for alcohol and will call you and have you claim the luggage and they take the liquor and hold it till the last morning.