• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

JAMAICA PORTS

Rate this topic

SCIROCCO

I spoke with a Gentleman in Person Yesterday about him getting back from a cruise to Montego Bay Jamaica and that the thugs are harassing and threatening the cruise ship passengers because the Jamaican Government wants more docking fees from Carnival and the other cruise lines and carnival wont do it! So in a roundabout way the Jamacian Government is looking the other way now on the Hardliners who harass the tourists and especially the large tour groups as well, he said they had to have Armed security Guards for the tour Groups now, has anyone heard any scuttlebut on this! :unsure:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember 4-5 years ago in Jamaica, there were armed guards with bullet proof vests and automatic guns lined up against the entrance to the dock....Also walking around the tourist shops...

• 2 weeks later...

We recently returned from Progreso and Cozumel, Mexico and the same applied. At both ports were armed military along with military patrol boats in the harbor. We experienced no problems.

• 1 month later...

We visited Ocho Rios last July. We got off our cruise ship (Caribbean Princess) and saw nothing but armed police/guards. They were holding automatic machine guns. We stopped and spoke with one. He was friendly and discussed why they were present. They have a lot of problems on different parts of the island. This includes drug problems, and dangerous activities. The government wants to ensure that cruise passengers are not harassed. They were definitely present and I did not feel threatened that they were there. He also informed us that their presence scares off the locals trying to sell cruise passengers fake drugs. Yes, fake drugs! He told us that locals crush up aspirin and sell it to cruise passengers who wanted a cheap thrill. Anyway, we did not encounter anyone trying to bother us at all. We were thankful they were there. :ninja:

I was there a few years ago but had no problems... I did get offered some smoke, but with a friendly, "no tanks mon, I'm I B Fine right now"

we had no problems...

We hung out at Jimmy Buffet's all day holding down a place for the gang to come & meet after their days. None of them had any trouble either.

I'll let the powers to be handel these problems. I figure if I feel un-comfortable at any point I will return to the ship. If more & more folks don't want to go there the cruise lines & ports will get the message...

• 4 weeks later...

I talked with someone today who just got back from the Conquest cruise which stops at MoBay. They did the 4-wheeler excursion and had armed guards with them the whole time. She also said that at the end, they had to wait in some secure building before being brought back (to the ship I guess is what she meant). She said that people couldn't even walk outside the building to smoke without a guard.

That sounds scary and I'm usually not afraid to venture off in a town (with my DH of course). But seriously thinking about staying on the boat for this stop.

I'm a beach person and would love to just hang out on the beach without being harassed - IS THAT POSSIBLE?