• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

JAMAICA PORTS

Rate this topic

SCIROCCO

Zydeco;

Not to downplay what you have said, but in the "good ole USA" where we live, we know where to go and where not to go....in a foreign country, we at at the mercy of the cruise hosts or the guides....we really don't know where the most crime is or even if we are walking into a high crime area. With this being said, I feel a little more importance (or should I say pressure) should be on the cruise lines and the tour guides as well as the privateers to keep our under informed butts out of harms way. Also the countries that host the cruise lines should be stepping up the program to reduce crime in the areas the the cruisers are attending. If they wish to look the other way, then maybe the cruise lines should also look the other way and those that want to go to Jamaica can fly down and spend a week. I myself would rather feel a little safer.

Now don't take me the wrong way, I live not far from a part of town that is "not pristine" and here I know where to go and not go. I don't go where not to go or I don't go after sundown. It's called being street consious or being smart. I haven't lived this long by being stupid and venturing places I don't belong. We can take tours here with no problems and the areas where the tours go, have been secured and policed.

This is just my take on the situation. I'm sure that 6000 people a week or more go with no problem, but why is each and every person one talks to says, Jamaica is a beautiful Island and I'd love to return if it were not for the pushy people and the uneasy feeling one gets.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Jim

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with other people expressing opinions and actually I invite it. Do I have compassion for the kids - of course I do.

How do we know which areas are good or bad? From experience? But bad things happen even in the best neighborhoods. If you were venturing into unfamiliar territory, would you not do the slightest bit of research first?

Especially when traveling to other countries you are outside the jurisdiction of the USA. At a minimum, you are subject to a different set of laws and customs. Why would you not do some research?

Another excerpt from the state department website:

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad.

I think we do each have responsibility for our own safety and security, anywhere in the world. Especially these days.

But I don't mean to pick on KW.

This incident could have happened in many different countries including the US. It wasn't so long ago that there was an attempted bus robbery in Costa Rica - one that could have easily had a different outcome.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel...ws/4579218.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see copycats not only in Costa Rica but in many other countries.

------

Are there drugs in Jamaica - of course there are (and Mexico and Columbia and just about all of the US trading partners). Tons of cocaine headed for the United States. Is Jamaica to blame for that or is America's addiction to drugs to blame? My opinion is the latter. We love to blame others for our problems and expect others to clean up their act, when we fail miserably at admitting and fixing the root cause. Jamaica could disappear off the face of the Earth tomorrow, and America would still be addicted to drugs. On the other hand, I think if America cured its addiction, many problems in other countries would also be improved if not eliminated.

I truly believe that America needs to focus more on fixing America and less on fixing, blaming and/or destroying the rest of the world. As Walt Kelly phrased it decades ago - We Have Met The Enemy and He Is Us.

I think Jamaica is a beautiful country and I will return again this November. I will be sure to post lots of pictures.

Yes, Jamaica is beautiful however drugs and robberies are 2 different issues. I think Jamaica needs to do more to protect their tourists and they are falling short in that area. Tourism is what keeps the economy going and in the end they are only hurting themselves if they do not police the tourist areas. NYC has been cleaned up, no, it's not perfect but it sure isn't the place is was 10 years ago. Bad things happen everywhere however more can be done to protect the people.

Years ago ships used to go to St. Croix and stopped because of the crime rate. The Bahamas has attempted to clean up it's act so that the tourists remain. I've been to Guatemala which is very unsafe. Was off the ship for less than 10 minutes because I have never felt so unsafe. They had guards protecting the tourists on the organized tours there. The cruiseline warned of us beggars, not thieves and murderers. It is the cruiselines job to protect us and to not go to places that are deemed unsafe.

I will skip ports that I have bad vibes about and currently that includes Jamaica. I'm sorry about that as it is truly lovely and the people are warm and friendly but my safety and that of my family will always come first.

Again I have to disagree. I LOVED Guatemala. I saw no beggars or thieves and nobody murdered me and we went all over. It is a poor country but the people are very proud and friendly. There was a visible police force even in areas I doubt most tourists get to. We went to visit the falls, had a city tour, and stopped at pharmacy, a bar to pick up some beers, even stopped at a neat cemetery to check it out. Some of the workman and/or grave diggers probably thought we were a little crazy, but so what. We stopped at a local farmers market and picked up fresh smokin hot tortillas and bread. The tortillas had just been fried, I wouldn't be surprised if in pure lard, and were soooooooooo good. At no point did we encounter beggars and certainly not thieves or murderers. I wasn't on a ship tour, we didn't have an armed guard, and there was certainly no need for one.

As the ship was preparing to leave, a number of locals driving up to honk their horns, serenade the ship, and many shouts of thank you was an incredibly touching moment.

I invite you to check out some of my pictures (not very dial up friendly - sorry)

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/ncl_sun_2006/...oTomas/st_1.htm

I feel Guatamala and St Croix was added as comparisons of third world country ports that need to step up security for the cruise passengers. I also feel that by your text, that you feel that most of the Caribbean port problems are brought on by the USA. We in the USA create a lot good but are only looked upon as the bad guys. Now being a NATURALIZED citizen of the USA and proud to be here, I don't adhere to your ideas. I can also see, by reading crime stats of various cities (NOLA for one), I could see how you would feel safer in Jamaica.

The forum master can delete this if they see fit, But this is just my opinion.

Jim