• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

resources for 2 day stay precruise in Rome(citavecchia)

Rate this topic

ANJAN

Hey all,

I was wondering; I need as many resources as I can get,from as many people as I can get, before my stay in rome (citavecchia). Ideas of questions I have are is it cheaper to stay in rome. tour there (2 days) then pay for a cab to the ship (which I understand is about 45 min away) or should I stay in Citavecchia and travel to rome to tour then go back and board the ship easily (so to speak) Some names of tour guides (would be nice)? Hotels? I already have a few resources but I also want to here about experiences....Please I need some help!

Thanks,

Andy

Having lived in Rome, I admit to a bias. I would say, however, that Rome is the place to stay. You do not need to take a taxi to Civitavecchia. The train from Rome to CV is MUCH cheaper and just a fast (if not faster depending on traffic) from Rome. You can find deals on places to stay if you try... the closer to the train station (Termini) the better the price (and crummier the hotel). Most of all, stay in Rome because there is NOTHING to do at night in CV, but all the locals come out at night to ROAM around ROME. In fact, I like Rome better at night than during the day. Get a gelato and stroll between the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. The dome of St. Peter's is also incredible at night. Most importantly, stop by the two big night gathering spots, the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain... You MUST see the Trevi at night!!!!

Rome is perfectly safe. I have walked around the city at 1:00-2:00 AM and never felt nervous - even in what might be considered the "seedier" parts of town. I would NEVER do that in many parts of Atlanta. Violent crime is rare in most of Europe (Paris and parts of England are the exception). When it happens, it is almost always a domestic issue. The worst that could happen to you in Rome is pickpocketing which is usually done in broad daylight, crowded areas or the subway... and to tourists. My rule of thumb is to always try to blend in. If you look like an idiot tourist... well. One suggestion I have is to run by a local store and buy a snack or something cheap that will get you a plastic bag. Use it to carry your guidebook, map, camera, etc. Nothing says "rob me" like a fanny pack or backpack. And do not stand on a street corner or on the subway reading a giant map or guidebook. Just common sense stuff really... but have no fear of safety in Italy.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

We just returned from a cruise out of Rome two weeks ago. We stayed at a fantastic little hotel suggested in Rick Steve's guidebook. Great location, pretty good price for Rome, just saw our bill show up on the credit card and I think we spent $184 for the hotel including breakfast and all the taxes, etc.

The trip, by private car, took one hour and 10 minutes including a couple of photo stops. We arrived at the ship at 11L10 AM and were the only people checking in!! Never got on a ship faster or easier.

I'm sure the train works well, but if you pack like my wife does and have large suitcases, I've been through trying to get them overhead on European trains and would not want to go through that again any time soon.

The private car (van) cost me less than the cruise line transfer back to the airport after the cruise.

Be advised that our dollar is very weak against the Euro, so there are really any bargains in the EU now.

Rome is a fantastic city, you will enjoy yourselves.