• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Loco Cruise - Ixtapa/Zihua

Rate this topic

Ok Locos....I know I posted this in our old home....thought I'd put it here too! This is my pick for the Ixtapa/Zihua port....have heard great things about this beach!

Las Gatas. It’s located on Zihuatanejo Bay, rumored to be the playground of ancient royalty. Legend indicates that the man-made reef was created to provide a safe place to swim for an Indian princess. Take a water taxi across the bay to a beach with no roads or high-rise hotels. The protected waters are excellent for children, with almost no wave action inside the reef.

Playa las Gatas was named for the small, harmless cat shark. There are no sharks at Las Gatas today, though, so there is nothing to worry about. Water taxis run all day from the Municipal Pier in downtown Zihuatanejo. Round-trip is about $3. Be sure to check the schedule, as the last taxi home leaves around 5pm. A number of organized tours are available, so check at your hotel desk or with a local travel agent. There is also a walking path to Las Gatas from Playa la Ropa, just a 10-minute walk over the rocks and along the shore of the bay. Las Gatas is the most popular snorkeling beach in Zihuatanejo. Wave runners are available for rent, and banana boat rides, massages, and even fishing charters can be found here. Surfing is popular at the far end of the beach, near Owen's Beach Club. There is also a walking path to the lighthouse on the point of the bay. There are a dozen small, palapa-roofed seafood restaurants along the beach. Sample the fresh fish, lobster, and octopus caught fresh daily by the Las Gatas fishing fleet.alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

You just pick a restaurant along the row. Then you can use their chairs, lunges, tables, etc. Plus they will wait on you all day! I've heard great things about it!!!