• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Skagway

Rate this topic

hazelson

Skagway in a lot of ways will remind you of the Caribbean. Lots of jewelery stores. There's some sights to see there, but really the only thing I found worth doing in Skagway was the White Pass Railroad. It has some of the most spectacular vistas that we saw in Alaska. You can do the railroad, and still walk around town to see everything.

Howard - the railroad ison the maybe list - we are going to see what the weather is like once we get there - no point going if it's too cloudy or foggy to see anything.

Not much into shopping (OMG did I just say that? LOL) - once we have the shot glass, the coffee mug and the charm for my bracelet.

We like to take in the "local character" - if there is any lol.

If you're able to take the train in the afternoon, the fog and mist usually burn off by then. When we took it, we first took a bus trip into the Yukon, and took the train back in the afternoon. The morning was misty, but by the time we got on the train, the mist was gone.

• 3 months later...

This was my DH and my day in Skagway. Follow this link to Murray's Guide for an awesome drive to Emerald Lake. http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/...ke-photos1.html

SKAGWAY 5:30am-7:45pm

Avis Rental Car Pick up across from Railroad depot(2nd & Spring Street 907-983-2247 intermediate size car. Follow Murray’s guide and drive north to Emerald Lake. About 150mi. 4-5hrs. round trip. Paved 2 land road. From Murrey

Notes: ???Okay, here's the scoop - you can go through the wildlife museum at Caribou Crossing for $7, add on the new musher's camp for a total of $12, or add on a husky cart ride as well for a total of about $52 (Canadian prices - take off 15-20% for US $). The musher's camp and rides are run by professional mushers Ed Hopkins and Michele Philips, both who have run the 1,000-mile Yukon Quest. The mushers are there daily from mid-May through late September. There is a lot of other stuff to do on site as well, from a mineral exhibit to an artists' village.

Emerald Lake* “most photographed lake in the Yukonâ€

Other highlights—Red Onion Saloon

• 2 weeks later...