• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Montego Bay

Rate this topic

Peddler

Jim, the port building has some shops in it and those were okay, but if you go to the hut shops right next to it, you will be hassled big time. They stay right on you and follow you from store to store and wait outside for you. We were just there 2 weeks ago and we went on a snorkel tour that also took us to Margaritaville.

• 1 month later...

We were in MoBay a few years ago and went on the Carnival sponsored horse backing riding tour, had a great time, DH birthday and he had never been on a horse :laugh:

After we returned to the pier we took a taxi and met our friends at Margaritaville, great time there also, and took a water taxi back to ship, which was another party.

We've been to Margaritaville's in Key West, Cancun, and New Orleans and this was the best ever. Great waterslide!

• 1 month later...

I know the OP has already gone and back but would like to make a suggestion for those who may not have gone yet.

We have been to MB a few times. First 2 times went on our own to Doc's Cave and then walked down to Margaritaviile. Good time but very expensive when you add everything up. The last time we went to Sunset Beach Resort. You catch a cab (usually a van) within the confines of the port - for $3. per person you can take a cab to Sunset Beach Resort. It's about a 5 minute drive. When you arrive don't be surprised to find armed guards at the gate. They will take your cruise pass (for Carnival that's your S&S card). They put them in an envelope with your name on them. You pay $40 for adults and $20 for kids (don't remember the age cut foff). Then they give you towel coupons - so you can go to the towel hut and get a beach towel. When you are done you return the card and ask for a coupon back. Return the coupon when you check out and you will not be charged for the towel. You can exchange for fresh towels throughout the day.

Sunset Beach Resort does not allow solicators on the property - so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to sell you anything - including drugs. You can eat and drink to your hearts content. They have swimup bars and paddle boats, snorkels equipment and lots of things to do - but the best part is they have a waterpark. Now we didn't do the waterpark because the last time we were there they were just finishing it. But it looked fantastic.

When you're done you either catch a cab back that is waiting or if you made arrangements with the cab that bought you they will pick you up at your designated time. But to the ship and the confines of the port and you can shop there before getting back on the boat. A very safe and rewarding day.

• 2 years later...

MoBay is fun! There is a lot to see and do there. Just be careful. We took an excursion through our cruise line. We went to the Croydon Plantation. It was a great experience. We saw all kinds of flora and vegetation that is native to Jamaica. The plantation gave a great tour. We sampled all kinds of local native fruit. There are about 19 varieties of pineapples and they gave us about 6 different kinds. We also had a jamaican lunch provided by them with jerk chicken and rice. We got to see the "real" Jamaica because it takes you in a bus about an hour from the ship.

Next time, maybe we'll visit some beaches and see more of Jamaica.

Oh... don't forget to buy your "Rum Cakes" there. Great variety. Right inside the port shops by the ship.

• 2 years later...

I was watching the Travel Channel just last Sunday, and they did a segment on Jamaica (Montego Bay to be exact ). Quite interesting and had a lot of information on Appleton Rum Tours. I would do the tour, but that's not my type of thing. I like to lie on the beach with a drink in my hand and just relax. I will say that the Appleton Estate is big and looks so beautiful. When you go, make sure you look for Ms. Joy Spence, the first woman to be a Master Blender for the company. For those that have signed up for that excursion, please tell us about it when you return.