• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Montego Bay

Rate this topic

Peddler

Well, here is an update...we'll be in MoBay in a couple of weeks. We've booked the Appleton Estates Tour through the ship. Not planning to do anything outside the tour with the exception of the stores at the dock (protected).

Jim

Jim,

How was the tour and did you have a decent amount of time to shop afterwords?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth but I just had to chime in. I LOVE MoBay! I've been visiting Jamaica, mainly MoBay, since the early .80s (I know... I'm old...) and have never had an issue there.

I was in MoBay the day they turned on the first stop light there. It was so much fun to watch! No one knew what to do... there was accident after accident at the intersection as folks tried to understand what the strange light was trying to tell them to do! There were no injuries, thank God, mainly just little fender benders.

I find the Jamaican's to be wonderful, proud, and dirt poor. They don't want handouts or help from anyone, something some people here in the US should consider.

Regarding the Appleton Estate tour, I've visited there several times and I love it! Great history colorfully spelled out, beautiful facility and ground and, of course, delicious rum and cocktails!! GO!! It's great!

In MoBay we tend to hang out at Doctor's Cave beach. Costs five bucks to get in for the day with chair and umbrella rentals available. Cocktails and food are available at a great little bar up slightly from the beach.

The beach is about 1/4 mile east of Margaritaville there on the Hip Strip. FANTASTIC place... constant fun and always a party. That bar was ranked as one of the top 5 party bars in the world!!

Sunset Beach is great but the admission fee has gone up to $60/person for adults, still a pretty good deal. It's about 2 minutes by cab from the cruise terminal so you can zip right over there. Regarding the cabs... only take a cab with RED JUTA license plates... any other color and the car isn't registered as a taxi.

You might want to avoid the 'crafts' market. The dealers there can be a bit on the pushy and demanding side and if you don't do well with a hard sell steer clear.

Speaking of dealers... the odds are pretty good that you might be approached to purchase some 'wacky tabacy' ... ganga. DO NOT buy any!!! You will get caught and the last place you want to be at sail away is in a Jamaican jail cell.

The island has tons to offer and is amazingly beautiful. Go, enjoy! Learn how to say 'Ya Mon' like a native and enjoy the No Problem attitude!!

-Mach

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there last month. Booked a private tour through Liberty Tours Jamaica and had a fantastic time!!

We did the secret falls, saw where Christopher Columbus landed, ate lunch at Scotchies (amazing!) and then did some shopping.

I just reviewed the excursion on my blog at whenshiphappens.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk