• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Montego Bay

Rate this topic

Peddler

I've been to Ocho Rios but never to MoBay. We're not beach people so my question is, has anyone done the Appleton Estates Rum Tour through Carnival? Also how about shopping afterwards???

Didn't get to do the Rum tour, but did do the shopping. We went off on our own and booked through a website I found and had a wonderful time. Our guide took us to Margaritaville and took us to a store he felt would give us the best prices and not haggle us too much.

I know some will say this is old news, but I sent an e-mail to Carnival concerning passenger safety on July 1. So far no answer and I really don't expect one. Here is the story...

06/21/2007

From Travel Weekly

Carnival Cruise Lines suspended the sale of a shore excursion in Montego Bay, Jamaica, after guests from its ship, the Carnival Conquest, were robbed on a bus during an excursion.

The ship was in Montego Bay as part of a seven-day western Caribbean cruise that departed Galveston, Texas, on June 10 and returned June 17.

The robbery occurred on June 13, when two men boarded the bus, Carnival said, during the Lethe Village Tour, a nine-mile drive by bus to the village of Lethe in Hanover, where guests take a tractor-drawn jitney around the village, visit a banana plantation and make Pina Coladas right from a coconut.

According to news reports, 17 Carnival passengers were on the bus and the two men were armed. Nobody was injured.

All appropriate law enforcement authorities were notified, the line said, and many of the stolen items have been recovered and have been returned to the guests involved in the incident.

As part of its CareTeam program, Carnival said it assisted those affected guests onboard and dispatched a counselor to the Carnival Conquest to render further assistance to them and their families.

I know Jamaica is iffy at best and I've read all the warnings, hell I even live close to a local war zone (drugs etc)

I may stay on the ship.

Jim

Yes, Jim I read that. I don't have plans to go off the beaten path but am considering a shore excursion. I hope that that incident made MoBay take a look at their security and will beef up security when ships are in. They really have no choice, if they want the tourism.

We went to Guatemala once and I ran back to the ship as fast as possible. The tours had guards armed with machine guns to protect the tourists. HAL still goes there on occassion but I'll never go again. If I don't like the feel, I'll stay on the ship.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, here is an update...we'll be in MoBay in a couple of weeks. We've booked the Appleton Estates Tour through the ship. Not planning to do anything outside the tour with the exception of the stores at the dock (protected).

Jim