• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Full Time Cruise Queen ~ Lorraine Artz

Rate this topic

Full-time cruiser sails the seas like a queen (USA Today)

There are people who cruise a little and people who cruise a lot. And then there's Lorraine Artz, 80, of Beverly Hills, Calif. The former dancer has spent nearly all of the past two decades at sea. A growing legend in the cruise world, Artz sails so often on Princess Cruises at least 10 months a year that the line just named her godmother of the new Royal Princess (which is fitting, as she recently moved onto it full time). USA TODAY's Gene Sloan spoke to Artz by phone during a port call in Israel.

Q: I'm told you hold the record for days at sea. How many is it?

A: As of today, I think it's 4,120. But I don't have my little book with me.

Q: And this all began when?

A: In the early '70s on a ship called the Spirit of London. At the time, I didn't know about cruising. We got on the ship in Los Angeles, and it was a little tiny cabin. It certainly was not comfortable. I just hung my clothes in the shower; that's how small it was. But after that first night on board, my husband and I said to each other, "We'll never travel any other way again."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Beverly Hills | Royal | Princess | Gene Sloan | Princess Cruises

Q: What hooked you?

A: It was so easy. On a cruise ship, everything is done for you. You have a room that is spotlessly clean. There is a room steward that takes care of your every need. There are shows, gambling, magnificent food. We'd done a lot of land travel before this, and it's hard work to land travel!

Q: Still, 4,120 days. That's the equivalent of more than 11 years. Doesn't it get boring?

A: I've got a standard answer for that, which is the smart-ass answer: Only boring people get bored.

Let me give you a little scenario of a day onboard. (After some time ashore) you return to the ship and get ready for the evening. You go down to one of the many bars, and you have a drink. You spend an hour relaxing with friends, and most of my friends, of course, are crewmembers.

(Then) you go into a beautiful dining room with a menu that any fine restaurant would be pleased to present, and when dinner is finished you have options. You either go to a movie or a production show or a comedian or a magic show. And then you go to sleep in a comfortable bed, and you wake up the next morning, open your drapes and you're in another country.

How anyone can be bored on a cruise ship, I don't know.

Q: Is part of the allure seeing lots of places?

A: It is, and it isn't. I like to see (different) countries. But for me, the best part is the life aboard. I came back to sea about a month after my husband died (five years ago), and from the moment I boarded, it was like I had this enormous family that cared what was happening with me. I didn't realize it at first, but (members of the crew) were taking intervals not leaving me alone.

Q: How many countries have you visited?

A: You know, I've never counted. But I've been pretty much around the world — India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, England, Scandinavia, Russia.

Q: Even suites on ships aren't that big. How do you manage?

A: Doesn't seem to bother me. I'm very comfortable. That's why I sold my house. I didn't feel like I needed it. Remember, you've got a whole ship there. You're not confined to your room in any way.

Q: And what happens when you leave the ship?

A: I keep the cabin all year, even when I'm not here, so I don't have to pack and unpack.

Q: I've got to ask: Do you ever get seasick?

A: Never (laughing). I grew up in the U.K., and I used to go fishing with my father in the Irish Sea. Do you know how rough that is?

Q: What's your favorite place to cruise?

A: I'd say Chile. The fiords are magnificent. I've been in Norwegian fiords and Alaskan fiords, and they don't compare to Chile's.

Q: Least favorite?

A: The Caribbean. Forty years ago, the Caribbean was wonderful. But now you go into a Caribbean port and there are seven ships a day there, it's crowded and (the locals) stand there with their hands out.

Q: How much longer do you expect to keep this up?

A: Until I die (laughter). I'd like to be buried at sea, but they don't allow it! When my husband died, this is what I put on his tombstone: "If you don't mind. I'd rather be cruising." And I've also ordered my own, and do you know what that says? "Me, too."