• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

European River Cruises

Rate this topic

cruiseduo

You will enjoy Uniworld. We did. Doing a Transatlantic from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale in October next year. That will be our European adventure for the year. Pack warm clothes. :biggrin:

Will do (I suspected France in January might be less than tropical!) I am also assuming that the Uniworld barges are smoke free, at least in inside spaces?

• 7 months later...

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesh - I've been totally unable to log in and enter posts on CruiseCrazies for so long - since I posted last on this topic about European River Cruises.

Anyway - Out August 2010 river cruise is on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel. We booked Globus on the Avalon Luminary.

One question that I have right now is Do I need to have Euros? I know you can charge and that most likely US currency works but tell me about Euros. What will I need them for, if I do?

• 3 weeks later...

A river cruise is the ideal way to discover Europe. One can easily enjoy scenic river cruising journey along the rivers of Europe, and explore these fascinating destinations all in the comfort of a river cruise.

This river cruise includes deluxe cabin accommodations, meals, sightseeing and so much more. You can enjoy cruising along the great rivers, which allows you to explore one of the most enjoyable and hassle-free ways to explore Europe's castles, cathedrals and picturesque villages on a river Cruise for sure.

victorian inn bed and breakfast ~ Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind ~

PatJud,

It is always handy to have some Euros with you for odds and ends, Who know you may want to buy an ice cream cone or glass of vino ashore or some smaller things really not expensive enough to put on a credit card. Euros are dropping. Yesterday the were $1.20 against the U.S. dollar.

The day the drop was to $!.20 is the day that I went to my bank and ordered 300 Euros and they were delivered within 48 hours. I've done a lot of reading and finally got a Visa Debit card ( which I have never wanted to use before ) to be used at ATMs to make purchases of Euros. From all the reading that I have done and all the people that I have talked with, the Debit card linked to a checking account is the thing to do.

Of course - I know that credit card is used aboard ship and can be used off the ship for purchases in most places. So - I think I've settled all my questions about the money situation.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The day the drop was to $!.20 is the day that I went to my bank and ordered 300 Euros and they were delivered within 48 hours. I've done a lot of reading and finally got a Visa Debit card ( which I have never wanted to use before ) to be used at ATMs to make purchases of Euros. From all the reading that I have done and all the people that I have talked with, the Debit card linked to a checking account is the thing to do.

Of course - I know that credit card is used aboard ship and can be used off the ship for purchases in most places. So - I think I've settled all my questions about the money situation.

Judson,

I've always used the debit card for the Euro withdrawals from ATM's in Europe. By the way, I found that Bank of America had alliances with certain banks in Europe and didn't charge a transaction fee when using it at their branches. Check with the bank that issued you the debit card and find out if they have any corresponding European banks you can look for.

• 1 month later...

It's time to start thinking about this Euro purchase thing again. I have to say that for some reason, I really never saw all those ATM machines that I was told about during our Rhine River Cruise this past August. I'm so glad that I had made my purchase before leaving the USA. I fully intend to make my Euro purchase for our Mediterranean cruise this May before leaving the USA.