• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Days at port

Rate this topic

Any more we just get off the ship and walk around and do a little shopping. We don't snorkel much like we once did. On our last cruise, which was to the Panama Canal, we did take a tour to the locks and a walking tour thru a rain forest. We booked the domed train from ocean to ocean, however it was canceled due to not enough bookings.

You should do one of two things in any port:

1) Things you've done in the past, and have enjoyed.

2) Things you've never tried, but that sound interesting.

Those things are, of course, different for every person.

We toured Old San Juan with friends, and it was the best part of our shore experiences during last year's Caribbean cruise. On the other hand, it wasn't until we had left our last port that we realized neither of us had even thought about going to a beach, much less gone to one.

I'm in my early 60's, and doubt if I've had 50 beach days (defined as a day on a beach that's warm enough for swimming) in my life--and none in the past 5 to 8 years. That's for a redhead who lives less than an hour from beaches in NJ, NYC, Long Island, and CT, and has lived within an hour of beaches all his life. In 39 years of marriage, our longest stay at a beach was 2 nights--and that was for visiting day at our son's camp.

Enjoy doing what you like best!

• 1 month later...

If it's a place I'm familiar with, I will walk around, have lunch at a fave restaurant, maybe buy a coupla small paintings (those are my souveniers- and gifts)..

If the island has a good, quite beach - I'll hop a taxi and head there for a coupla hours.

If I walk out on my balcony and the day is full of sun and heat, I might decide to loaf around the quiet ship while everyone else is gone. I love port days when I stay on board!!!

If it's a place I've never been before, I'll prebook an excursion with a local vendor (or hop a taxi) that would include an island tour, maybe a stop at a beach or for lunch. If there is something "special" to see or do, I'll see it or do it. But, I don't wear myself out....I'm on vacation and the ship is calling me back.....I love a balcony!