• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

NIGHTMARE IN JAMAICA CARNIVAL SHORE EXCURSION

Rate this topic

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I can not imagine being in a situation like this. I hope that Carnival and all the other lines have the good sense to stop going to Jamaica. How sad that Carnival was so unhelpful. Bless you all.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe the response I am getting here. Yall are wonderful. I have been speaking with people on Tripso.com and they have a different way of looking at things. There are a lot of travel agents on that site and they are not very happy with me putting this story out. I have nothing against travel agents and I want to make that clear. I just wanted to say that you are all great and I really appreciate your comments. It makes me feel so much better and I really needed your comments more than I thought I did.

I do want to stay on track and please if you know of any travel agents or people going to Jamaica, just ask them to be careful. It is election time over there and the violent crimes are increasing.

Thanks again and GOD BLESS you all.

Wow I can't beleive you would get any other kinda responce! Maybe this is why I like it here! You have actually had a couple of TA's respond to you in this thread. I can't beleive they would look at this any other way than a family was put in DANGER! I for one am a TA (one of my jobs) & I stand behind you 110%! Last thing I want to do is put one of my clients in harms way.

Thank You for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!

Ken,

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said but I want to add my support and prayers for you and your family. I hope this puts a big dent in Jamacian tourism and maybe they will wake up and deal with the crime there. We were told only to go to Jamacia if we were staying in an all inclusive resort and not leaving the premises. It makes us all much more of aware of our surrounding when we are on excursions off the ship. Take care and keep us posted as to how your family is doing and I hope this does not turn you off cruising........

Thanks again to you all,

If you google tourist crime in Jamaica, you will find stories that are more horrific than ours. Many are from the all inclusive resorts. I really hope that this opens the eyes of the Jamaican government anbd forces them into developing sufficient programs that will insure the safety of all visitors. I think it is a beautiful island and feel like there are several Jamaicans that do care about the tourist industry there. I have found that the income produced by the tourist industry only filters down to a few prominate families there and that is one of the issues that I believe needs to be addressed.

It would be a big help if you could pass this story along to all of your e-mail contacts. It is amazing the strength of the internet.

Please, let me know if there is anything I can do for any of you.

Again, I want to respond to the Travel Agents: The TA 's that were attacking on Tripso.com, I do not feel as though they are the majority. I think that the majority of TA's are wonderfull people, who love to see their clients have a great time on the vacations and I just want to say thanks to them for a wonderfull job.

hi kenneth,

so sorry to hear your horrific story!! my family did this excursion about 5 yrs ago...i felt very uneasy about it then..the bus ride was enough for us, espically when my mother said i think i need what that guy is smoking on the corner!! i thought we would die going around the corners, so did mom!! and to see the people smoking dope and lying all over made me sick too..we thought we were going to a school to hear folk music..the kids came outside and sang i love you the barney song!! the end.. the fumes from the tractor was enough to gag a mule. i dont remember the name of the guy who lead us around,poor guy didnt have but 1 tooth, he was so nice..but it was january! no flowers or foilage! it was like being here in st louis..and yes, it is a strange area for sure, i was not happy to be here b/c of reasons you have stated..bad vibes the whole time..we did make it to the end to watch some kid climb a coconut tree and have fresh fruit and a pina colada. and we did come through is safe, but i can see your horror, this area was not safe feeling at all! in fact, the only time i felt a bit comfy was driving over hte bridge and seeing the long rafts underneath..i hope your family gets the treatment that should be offered to you by carnival!! this is uncalled for. i wish they would drop jamaica all together. we stayed at an all-inclusive one time..had a lady on the beach with a rifle..ok...whats this? i have alot of law enforcement folks in my circle...this is to much! and some guy in the ocean trying to sell me jamaican smoke!! in the ocean where i was snorkeling..get out of here. even walking around the comples was kind of strange b/c sthe locals that got off work were all over and smoking that crap! here, want some?? yep...sure do..where has your mouth been anyway? eewwww crime is everywhere u know that, but carnival should take care of all of pax that went through this ordeal..what a shame...

cindy