• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Ship visits?

Rate this topic

Living in a landlocked state and being 1200 miles from the nearest port, which is Galveston, we have only been at or near a port when cruising, so have never been there when a ship was in when we weren't sailing.

We visited another ship while in port once. It was in 1995, and we were on the Westerdam. The Statendam was docked next to us in Nassau, and their gangway was almost directly across from ours. So we strolled over when we returned from town and told the gangway people that we were Westerdam passengers and were curious if we could look around. They said yes and off we went for about an hour walkabout.

When we were docked in St Thomas in 1999, the Sun Princess was anchored off shore. I asked one of our security people if going over was allowed. He said usually yes when the other ship is docked, but not if tender is required.

Of course, this was back before 9-11 and the security changes that brought along. I would think in an embarkation port, it would be very difficult to impossible to visit another ship these days. Unless as part of some trade group or something (my sister did this in Halifax a couple years ago as part of her travel agent course)

I have toured two ships.

Carnival Sensation - my travel agent got us tickets to tour the ship and have lunch on her in Tampa.

And also the Maasdam - My daughter (bank manager) had a special for their top business men/woman who bank with them, to tour the ship in Tampa and have lunch on board.

Both ships were great - the food on the HAL was better.

• 1 month later...

Well, I voted "no" too fast.

Back in the 90's, was able to visit 2 ships at the Port of Miami using my business card.

And, on many River Cruises in Europe, there are places where the boats have to tie up next to each other and do a "walk-through" to ge to the pier. You were welcome to wander around the public areas, have a drink at the bar.

WAY back in the dark ages (1970's-80's), you could usually make arrangements to visit a ship by calling the company ahead of time. Many times, they would give you a "visitor's Pass"....similar to the ones they used to give your family who would come aboard and see you off......