• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Fancy clothes Emergency

Rate this topic

txSherry

Here's the deal... for all the planning I did I was poor in thinking about my husbands dress clothes.

He owns no suit. In all honesty there is a light gray suit in the closet he fit into about 8 years ago, but he doesn't think it will fit. He also owns a 'cowboy' dress jacket. You know, tweed, leather elbow pads -- i'm describing it badly. He hasn't worn it in a while too, but it looks (looked) good on him.

I didn't know we needed to reserve the ship's tux ahead of time. I went online last night to buy myself some goodies ahead of time. I'd tried a couple of weeks ago but thought I didn't have a cabin #. I read another recent thread where one of you suggested to someone else to look online that the TBA would actually show a cabin number. I did that and "shore 'nuff" there was our cabin number. So, I ordered a couple of picture coupons and 4 drink coupons and went to order DH's tux and NO!! it said it was too late. So I went to bed (hadn't slept in a long time) and left it up on my screen (i know I'm rambling. I'm panicked!) told DH to read it and he agreed it said he needed to be professionally measured (?!?!?) and that it was too late to order it. DAMN!

So ... no tux. I have a huge workload the next couple of days, too. :( :(

So, what to do?? I know there's a Men's warehouse in Austin. I live in the area (Pflugerville). Anyone great at web searches? we don't have a lot to spend really. Although my port of calls may just get cancelled thanks to 'Dean' :( but then again at least the trip is paid for! So, help?? Please! I need your wisdom, ideas, brainstorming, anything!

DH said he'd give me his "dimensions" when he wakes up. Not professionally measured but you know, his shirt size, pants size, neck size etc.

If only I'd bought a discount tux ahead of time off the internet. :(

But here I am, thinking I"ll end up going to Formal night alone. :(

Ok, I'm off to google. I found men's warehouse website. Seems everything is too expensive. $85 to rent the tux was a lot but doable. I would go for maybe (MAYBE) $100. I just spent an unexpected $110 at the Vets yesterday. That hit my budget.

ok, enough rambling...

signing off now, the frantic, Sherry

Sherry, I don’t think it is mandatory that your DH wear a tux to formal nights. We have been on several cruises and my DH always wore a nice suit (he does not have a tux), which would probably cost less than a tux and easier to find :smile: .

My DH bought his suit at JCPenny's, we didn't spend a lot on it.

I did a search for you and there are a few Burlington Coat Factories by you, here is the adress of the closest one:

BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY WHSE

6600 MIDDLE FISKVILLE ROAD

AUSTIN, TX 78752-4315

Hours:M-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun 11am-7pm

Phone:(512) 452-4252

They have a great deal of men's suits available. I think if you buy a nice suit, it would be more versatile, as he could wear it more than a tux? Also, if it costs too much money, then go with slacks and a couple of dress shirts with ties that compliment what you will be wearing, perfect for pics! Hope this helps :)

Sherry

Does the "cowboy " jacket still fit ?

Does he have pants and shoes to wear ?

I think you can rent a tux once on board, I am sure in some of the capers it mentions, the formal shop if wanting to rent a tux,

I would not fret one bit over how he is dresses for formal night, let him dress how he is comfortable, and if that jacket still fits, wear it...

Go and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you everyone!

I bought a classic black (ok, it's off-black, and I'm remembering 'Father of the Bride' and Steve Martin, but oh well!) suit at Wal-Mart shortly ago.

I hope it fits. Altogther with the tie and shirt, it was $98. And now he'll have a suit in his closet.

Thanks for enduring my 'emergency' :-)

Thanks again, all. And Rose, I know it was a typo but it was sweet seeing "our Sherry" :-)

Jeff just got home and tried it on and likes it! He didn't talk about the tie yet, oh well.

He's off to shop for dress socks -- I left *something* for him to do. And khaki pants. I told him no jeans in the dining room. :P He's mad at me right now. One of his co-workers told him "There is free laundry on board and no room in your cabin for luggage." I told him "The laundry is not free, I'm not doing laundry, there IS room in our cabin for our luggage under the bed, and NICK is NOT planning our trip -- I AM!" lol. I told him that his co-worker probably was on a different cruise line.

What have I been reading and reading for all these months? And 2 days before we leave he comes home with a butt-load of knowledge (yea right). He's just going to have to stick it right back in his butt! mhaahaahaa.

:-)

--Sherry