• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What factors do you use to choose your next trip?

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

With my extremely limited vacation time (right now we can't plan a vacation at all, for this year or next, and will probably have to take vacation, as we did this April, on no more than two or three week's notice), the number #1 consideration is which small to medium ships fit within that small vacation window. We would love to try Oceania, but haven't yet found an Oceania cruise that fits within one of our vacation windows.

Next on the list, in a three way tie, are cruise line, ship, and destination. We want to go to places we have not previously been to, and we want to do it on a ship with no more than 1,500 (and preferably well under 1,000) PAX. Then comes budget. If we could, we'd only sail on lines such as Silversea, Regent, Seabourn, Windstar, etc.; but budgetary considerations place HAL, Celebrity, and Princess (if we can find a ship that isn't a megaship) on our list.

It's lovely sailing out of the Port of New York (we live in North Jersey); but after home port cruises (3 Canada-New England, 1 Bermuda, 1 Caribbean), we probably won't be able to find another home port cruise. We definitely do not want to do the Caribbean again from New York, and our next trip to Bermuda will be by plane.

Vacation planning for us is a joint venture.There are plenty of places where we both want to go. Joe

Hmmm, let's see....

First would be if I can talk my DH into letting me book another one when we've already got 2 booked

Second would be a great military discount

Third would be avoiding spring break and summer :rolleyes2:

We're sticking with Carnval and will hit platinum on the Jan cruise....not bad going from 0 to 10 in a little over a year and a half on Carnival (only possible because of their great military discounts)

Definately itinerary first - how many times can one go to the same place and truly enjoy it. After that we research the ships - starting with Princess cruises.

Now every once in a while we throw a wrench into the works, and decide on the spur of the moment to go on a cruise - obviously those are wild cards.... but we have enjoyed each of those as well.

Hey a cruise is better than being stuck in a hotel somewhere.....

• 3 weeks later...

In the past, many cruises were those over which I had very little, if any control. But, for the past 10 years or so, I ALWAYS shop the right side of the menu. I cruise solo - by choice - (except once a year when I take my grandson along)...as you know, solo cruisers pay through the nose.. Then, of course, I gotta have a balcony! Cabin choice was never an issue with me. I just bought the cheapest cabin - didn't give a hoot. Then, about 8 years ago, I was upgraded to a balcony cabin....and that was that. So, cruising solo in a balcony cabin - I look for the best price.

I don't care where the ship is going. Don't care if I've been there once or 50 times. Don't care if I've been on the ship a dozen times....I look for the very best price. And, Carnival has always beat everyone else's price so I am a Carnivore.... It works out well; I have been sailing their ships since the Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Festivale days and loved them all.

I just want to be on a ship - on a sea somewhere - moving along - at the best rate I can find. :biggrin: