• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

FP/Cook islands on the Tahitian Princess

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

I consider our cruise last yr. on the Tahitian Princess in FP and the Cooks to be on eof the best crusie experiences we have ever had. If anyone wants to do this itinerary you have until April, 2008. After that the TP is pulling out of that region, why I don't know. There will some Hawaii-FP routes but no more 10 days cruises exclusive of FP and the Cooks. :sad2: If you want that route the only ship in town will be the PG. Thats reallt too bad I think. The TP is a gem. :sad2:

The TP will be doing 2 week Alaska cruise, round trip from Vancouver, in the summer of 08, with unusual ports such as Kodiak Island. Why are they withdrawing from Tahiti? I haven't a clue. Of course, I don't have a clue as to why Windstar withdrew from the route a few years ago. The Paul Gauguin, which will still be in FP, is supposed to be nice, but it's very expensive.

We're considering taking the two week itinerary, but are concerned about being on a small ship crossing the huge Gulf of Alaska to Kodiak. Do you have any thoughts on that? Your otherwise favorable review indicated that there was quite a bit of rocking and rolling.

:cool2: Part of the problem with motion was our cabin selection which initially was forward facing. By someone elses bad luck, a New Zealand couple who had to vacate the ship early on for health reasons, we were able to move to their cabin which was a mini-suite amidships and that location helped a great deal. However even in calm seas you could at times feel a gentle sway or rocking motion. This was accentuated fore and aft. As I recall there were dance lessons one day in an aft lounge and it was sort of comical to see folks trying to learn dance steps to the sway of the ship so I too would be concerned about a small ship (32 k tons) in open Alaskan waters. I would think you would need calm seas and an amidships cabin. Yes, the PG is nice but her price for a 7 day cruise was double the TP's for 10 days and their reviews are not far apart at all. Interestingly we passed the PG moored in Raratonga. Due to the sea conditions we could not get in and the PG could not get out.

I don't know why they are leaving that route. I read an article a few weeks ago in the local papers travel section about her and this route and it said the ship is always full so its a mystery to me. As there is no competion in her price range I would think they could raise prices a bit and still stay full.

If you choose to take the TP I hope the seas are calm. She is a beautiful ship and the intangible of more intimacy on a smaller ship is a huge plus. Any more questions please ask.

Cheers, Larry :smile:

They aren't "leaving" the route. They are repositioning away for a few months in the summer. Same as the Caribbean. They obviously feel they can make more money with the ship in Alaska during the summer. But it is going back to Tahiti for the winter.

According to the site, the TP departs Honolulu Sept 28, 2008 for a 12 day cruise to Papeete. Then it does 10 day FP cruises until Dec when it departs Papeete on the 19th for a 26 day repo to FLL.

I also notice on the website that there are only 3 cruises in Alaska in 2009. Surely they aren't pulling out of Alaska are they? LOL. Or could it just mean the schedule isn't complete. I can't imagine Princess not having final plans 18 months in advance. LOL. It just looks to me like they have decided Tahiti isn't worth year round service anymore, just like they have pulled ships out of Florida and are only offering Caribbean cruises from New York next summer (and not at all in September). The economy has changed.

:cool2: Hi Dan: This morning I checked the Princess site and saw AGAIN that the last TP cruise in FP was 4/2008. I called Princess to confirm this and they too said there was nothing scheduled after 4/2008. NOW on their site it has changed. The TP is scheduled May/08, and Oct. thru Dec./09. I suppose it depends on WHEN you look. :biggrin: Anyway I am glad they are still there but I must say the weather is better in our summer or their winter and I don't see the TP there at that time. Cheers, Larry :-)

Well, their website is a little screwy, which isn't uncommon for them LOL. It doesn't show up if you click "Hawaii and Tahiti" and the calendar, but if you click the ship name and the month, then "view", the fall 2008 FP voyages come up. Granted, these itineraries don't appear to include Cook Islands.

Who knows where the TP will be after the world cruise ends in May 2009, but they don't have anything listed on their website that far in advance yet.