• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Would you.........

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

For us, part of the decision to book a cruise is the itinerary. We only book cruises with ports that we haven't been to as yet. Even when there is a port that we've previously been to, we find something new to do there. We haven't yet been to any one port enough times to be bored by it. The other thing is that port days have limited activities on board, and neither Cindy nor I are ones to sit around a pool all day, so we may as well go ashore.

I don't mind hanging around on the ship in many of the ports we've been to multiple times. Its a great time to crack open a book. We have never forgone all the ports. One cruise we got off once in St Martin. We remained on the ship for the others. We loved it.

We almost always go ashore, even if its only for a couple of hours.

We are doing the Baja beginning on Sunday. Have been to those ports about 20 times. For a change in Cabo we booked a ShoreTrips excursion to Todos Santos for the day. Never been there. The other ports we will play by ear, see how we feel.

If you don't book exhausting excursion and just go ashore long enough to get a feel for the area you are doing pretty much what you are suggesting.

Because we do things spur of the moment, we usually do not pre-book excursions and have stayed aboard ship in ports we've been before. At new ports we always get off for at least a couple hours. We would never book a cruise with the intention of not getting off at any of the ports, since that option is always available.

Our next cruise has two new islands for us, St Lucia and Barbados, and has islands we've been to many times. We may decide to stay aboard on those. :wink2::wink2:

Yep I would consider that! :thumbup:

My last cruise I only got of in one port & that was to see some friends there. I really loved it, staying on the ship! It is a different type of cruise & it is VERY relaxing! Knowing you do not have to go fight the tender lines or the crowds because the ship is yours on port days!!! Very few stay on board & talk about service! Crew has nothing to do but stand around & serve you as there is no one else to serve!

Go for it I think you will really like it! :thumbup:

Joey, I have done exactly that. In fact it was on my 11/06 cruise on the Radiance OTS. Key West, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Been there and done that.....many times, so I just stayed on the ship. Oh, it was paradise!!! Any lounger at the pool that I wanted was available. No lines in the Windjammer after everyone else left and I had a late breakfast. Great service from the waiters, etc. Staff and crew actually had time to stop and talk to you, got to know them a little better and I loved some of the stories they told. I got to know one of the assistant CD's - and we compared ships and cruise lines. We had a blast talking that day. Spa specials. Watching everyone rush back all hot and bothered while you are calm, cool and relaxed and smiling. Pools all to yourself.

I find I am staying on the ship more and more, especially if I have been to a port of call more than once. Especially in the Caribbean. Sometimes you just have to take the time and relax and not rush around......recharge the batteries, renew the spirt.

Now, my next cruise is a TA and I have never been to Europe, so I will be getting off at all the ports.........and enjoying the ship on the 8 sea days we have.