• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival: New Fuel Supplement

Rate this topic

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the TA's being upset at this and I can't blame you, but as far as the rest of us, we've been paying a surcharge for years. It's been built into the cost of a cruise from the beginning. By making it a surcharge and not part of the price of the cruise, Carnival doesn't have to pay the TA's commission. I think that within the next couple of weeks almost all of the cruise companies will follow suit.

As a stockholder of the company, I like to see Carnival making money. That's actually what they're in business to do.

Now it appears that all of the big cruise lines have all started to add on a fuel surcharge. It will be a while till they go away, if they ever do. Most markets tend to regulate themselves. When the price of fuel does drop, one of the companies will drop the surcharge to get more customers, and the others will have to all fall in line. Hopefully, that will be soon.

So far I am aware of fuel surcharges by all Carnival Corp lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard), NCL, RCCL (including Celebrity and Azamara), Regent, Crystal, and Oceania. Carnival had done it quite a few months ago on their European lines.

I agree that the perception doesn't make it look good, but the reality is much more fair. The cruise companies don't pay for their fuel at the pump like we do. They contract for fuel for a period of time and the costs become fixed for the period of the contract. They are now contracting for future fuel at a much higher rate than before. they're not contracting for a year from now, but for only months from now. Shouldn't the people who are using the expensive pay for it? Why should people a year or more from now pay for the fuel increase if the price actually comes down? That would be the result of raising prices for future cruises. If you owned a business, and your prices go up, you raise your prices now, not a year from now. The fuel surcharge is nothing more than the companies raising their prices now.