• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Azamara Journey 06/13/2008 - Copenhagen to St. Petersburg

Rate this topic

avie

Hi,

We're off to Northern Europe on Azamara (Celebrity's new line) in June. The smaller ship (approx. 700 passengers) is most appealing! Hopefully, by the time we leave, the minor glitches aboard will have been corrected. The Journey is one of the R ships that have been been renovated.

Is anyone joining us?

Avie

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats, Avie! Those ships sound lovely. Someday.

I assume you'll be stopping by Tallinn, Estonia, land of my husbands Ole's ancestry. We've been there a few times. It's come along quite nicely since the 90's and you'll probably love it if you haven't been there already.

Also, I LOVE Copenhagen. I did a land trip there. Eat Danish is my motto. Their pastries are so yummy, flakey, buttery layers, not just blobs of bread like what we can Danish here.

Congrats, Avie! Those ships sound lovely. Someday.

I assume you'll be stopping by Tallinn, Estonia, land of my husbands Ole's ancestry. We've been there a few times. It's come along quite nicely since the 90's and you'll probably love it if you haven't been there already.

Also, I LOVE Copenhagen. I did a land trip there. Eat Danish is my motto. Their pastries are so yummy, flakey, buttery layers, not just blobs of bread like what we can Danish here.

Thanks.

Yes, we'll be spending a day in Tallinn. And we looking forward to the three days in St. Petes. We just engaged a private tour there. To get the most flexability, I opted to the tour for two. Of course, if another couple wants to join us, we're always open to adding them.

We're also spending two days in Copenhagen prior to boarding the ship. We'd welcome any suggestions you have to sghts, restaurants, etc.

Have a very happy holiday.

Avie

Avie,

Well, if you want to spend a Wad of dough, try this restaurant, Kommandanten. Here is a Frommers link to give you some info. We ate there in 2003, and at the time, it was the most $$ we had ever spent on a meal. (And with todays exchange rates, yikes). BUT, the service was fantastic, ambience cozy, the food was very good and we drank some expensive wine and Dom Perignon, etc. I think that is why it was so expensive, half the cost was alchol.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/D31632.html

Other than that, the meals we had were not that memorable, except eating the Danish pastries.

-Cheryl

Your cruise sounds just wonderful - out of my price range, but wonderful. I remember doing the Sun Viking in southeast Asia ten years ago...only six hundred passengers on board and it was totally delightful. I still visit back and forth with a couple from England who were tablemates on that cruise. They used to own a 14th century manor house ( he just retired as a British Airlines 747 pilot a few years back - they have/had a mandatory retirement at 55 ), which they sold and bought a 15th century farm house. Great friends, they've become and they welcome me with open arms.

By the end of that 12 day cruise, I knew half the passengers and crew on the ship!

Avie,

Well, if you want to spend a Wad of dough, try this restaurant, Kommandanten. Here is a Frommers link to give you some info. We ate there in 2003, and at the time, it was the most $$ we had ever spent on a meal. (And with todays exchange rates, yikes). BUT, the service was fantastic, ambience cozy, the food was very good and we drank some expensive wine and Dom Perignon, etc. I think that is why it was so expensive, half the cost was alchol.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/D31632.html

Other than that, the meals we had were not that memorable, except eating the Danish pastries.

-Cheryl

Cheryl,

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll pass on the Dom Perignon, and concentrate on the local beers! But no decisions on the restaurants as yet! Probably, herring in various forms and pastries sounds like a plan.

Our best to Ole.

Happy New Year.

Avie

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We're off to Northern Europe on Azamara (Celebrity's new line) in June. The smaller ship (approx. 700 passengers) is most appealing! Hopefully, by the time we leave, the minor glitches aboard will have been corrected. The Journey is one of the R ships that have been been renovated.

Is anyone joining us?

Avie