• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Photocopy of canadian passport

Rate this topic

Sunbeam

As we are going on a cruise to Europe in October 2008, we were wondering can we disembark the ship with only a photocopy of our passports?

We do not really like to be walking around with our passports, but we do not want to have problems when we come back to the ship.

We have never used our passports to disembark or reboard the ship. I do make a photocopy and carry it with me so I have it just in case, but have never even taken it out of my bag. Once we embark the ship on sailing day, the passports go in the safe and stay there until debarkation day. We have our driver's license with us when we get off the ship in ports of call, but have never had to use them either - when exiting or entering the ship, you insert your sail & sign card and the security guard can see your picture on his screen so he knows if it is you or not.

Sunbeam, it depends what your motivation is. We have traveled to Europe a few times and have left our passports in our safes. We have also read of people who have taken photocopies with them - but honestly, if you were to miss the ship and it went to the next country, you WOULD NOT be allowed to use your photocopy as a substitute to get you there. The only way a photocopy would help you is if you had your passport stolen and you contacted the US authorities - you would have all your passport details with you to give them. But again, you wouldn't have the passport stolen if it was left behind in your cabin safe. For us.... we just have our driver's licenses on us plus our sail cards and leave our passports back on the ship in safety.

You don't need your passports on you while you are on your European excursions.