• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Embarkation Ports

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

San Diego is the easiest. Honolulu was great. Didn't like Baltimore. Norfolk has a beautiful new termnal. New Orleans is fine. Galveston not so good. I thought Bell St pier in Seattle was fine. Boston is not so good. The others are just okay: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, San Juan. Loved the terminal in Barcelona.

Hi Joey,

We've embarked from San Juan twice and did not find it bad at all. However, luggage claim and getting a porter at the airport was a pain. And both times the cab ride to the pier was a hair raising experience. Pedal to the Metal and here we go!! :ohmy:

Just my observations for what they are worth. :biggrin:

I think the terminal plays a role in what you think of a particular port. For instance, Port Everglades. We've sailed from there 3 times, with the 4th coming in 2 weeks. HAL and Princess have nice terminals, although we didn't really see much of the Princess one since we were right through and on the ship. But the time we sailed on Carnival out of there, they had us down at a warehouse at the very south end. I think they have since turned this into a combo freight/passenger terminal, but back then (Jan 2001), it was a freight warehouse.

Same thing happened to us in Boston. Funny now that I think of it, that was on Carnival too LOL. But, the ship was supposed to sail from New York and was moved to Boston due to 9-11, so the main terminal in Boston was already occupied.

I thought the terminal at San Pedro was pretty comfortable to kill some time in. But this was the big terminal which faces the bridge. Not sure what the other 2 smaller terminals are like.

I have only been out of Port Canaveral and Miami.

I liked the facity at Port Canaveral a little better but going out past the causway and Star Island leaving Miami was nicer than the sail out of Canaveral.

When it comes down to it though, as long as I'm sailing out I would be happy with going out of a land fill in NJ!

Skipper, I've been to San Juan ( and all over Puerto Rico ) fifty times over the last twenty years...and it comes close to rivaling India ( the worst place I've ever been - Thailand and Taiwan are tame by comparison ) for traffic, crazy drivers, and heart-in-your-throat cab rides.

I think their airport and Miami's are a pain in the a@%*...but I don't mind the port at San Juan. Cruises are so great...sometimes the getting on and off needs a little work.

Well, Vancouver is the prettiest, Fort Lauderdale is the easiest. San Pedro/LA/Long Beach are really commercial ports and are not "pretty"; Miami is not pretty at the piers, but the ride out of "the cut" is pretty nice. Southampton is also a commercial port, but it more open and doesn't seem as ugly....plus there is a lot of history there.

Going to put in a plug here for Whittier, Alaska. It is a beautiful place to see, but it is really hard to get too. And there is nothing to do anywhere in Whittier, but the natural beauty almost makes up for that.

I have only been out of Port Canaveral and Miami.

I liked the facity at Port Canaveral a little better but going out past the causway and Star Island leaving Miami was nicer than the sail out of Canaveral.

When it comes down to it though, as long as I'm sailing out I would be happy with going out of a land fill in NJ!

Jim, you'd love Cape Liberty in Bayonne. :laugh: