• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Norwegian Cruise Line

Rate this topic

zebra

We need to hear from anyone who has sailed on NCL before. How would you rate the cruise? Would you sail with them again. we have found a great rate on a Transatlantic cruise, but not knowing anything about this cruise line, need to do some research first.

All information will be greatly appreciated.

We need to hear from anyone who has sailed on NCL before. How would you rate the cruise? Would you sail with them again. we have found a great rate on a Transatlantic cruise, but not knowing anything about this cruise line, need to do some research first.

All information will be greatly appreciated.

[/quot

We sailed the Norwegion Star on its maiden voyage. The staff was half experienced ans half new. Many of the supplies were still on pallet boards and we were 4 hours late departing. There were many comical incidences abord concerning the staff because of thier inexperience but the 18 days were good. Freestyle dining turned out OK but we had enjoyed assigned seating where we know the waiters and tablemates. Keep a happy attitude and you should have a lot of fun.

We are sailing NCL again in April and although freestyle is still the norm you can ask for assigned seating if you wish. I am a product of the USA public school system and apparently there is no spell check here. Sorry

hal2000 :wub:

Jackie,

Only done NCL once, aboard the "Sky." In a nutshell we found our so called "Mini Suite" about the smallest stateroom we have ever sailed in with the hardest beds and least storage we have ever had as well. We had to leave things in our suitcases and use them as additional "drawer" under the bed. And, this was for only a one week cruise. :thumbdown:

I thought the ship was attractive, but the food was only average IMHO. :sad2:

Not saying we would never sail with them again, but they are not on our short list for our next cruises.

When we disembarked this ship and boarded the Carnival Paradise where we had an inside stateroom for the next week. We were much happier and comfortable in this room that in the Sky Mini Suite. And, the food was better, so go figure. :rolleyes2:

NCL has the newest fleet of any of the major cruise lines. Gone are the Norway, Crown, Wynd, etc. I have sailed on Norwegian Dream, Norwegian Star to Alaska in 2005, sailed on the inaugural and christening of the Norwegian Jewel in 2005, NCL America's Pride of America in Feb 2006, and on the brand new Norwegian Pearl in 2007. We have stayed in minisuites and balconies, and one oceanview. The oceanview on the Dream was larger than others we have been in. The minisuite on the Star was great, although with 4 in the cabin the storage was tight. I especially like the bathroom arrangement with a separate toilet area with a door, the sink in the middle , and a shower with a separate door. There is a coffee pot in each cabin. Our favorite place is the Star Bar, up high overlooking the pool area, and adjacent to the steakhouse. Never crowded, very personable staff.

The ships generally have 10 dining venues, never more than 4 with a service charge, including two main dining rooms, a steakhouse, and asian restaurant and teppanyaki, an italian trattoria, a French bistro, excellent buffets/Lido Garden Cafe's on the newer ships with no lines, just service areas, a 24 your "fast food venue, and a Tex-Mex, and outdoor grilled food stations.

There is only 1, optional formal night, in one dining room. It is open seating from 5:30-10pm in all but the specialty restaurants (steakhouse, asian, french, italian), which require reservations. There is no surcharge in the Italian, it just requires reservations. We have never had trouble having a table for two. Obviously in open seating, 6:30-7:45pm larger groups may have to wait for a table. The key to the specialty restaurants is to decide the first day which you want to eat in, and which night, and make your reservations that first afternoon. If you wait a day or two, it will likely be 9:30pm if you can get in. The main dining rooms seem to have a few less entree options, probably due to the other venues available.

Service has been fine. We sailed on Pride of America with its young American crew and had no difficulties. I looked for trouble and found none. Others have had different experiences.

We still take formal clothes and enjoy the formal night. One night we even chose to do a second one, and found the captain and several officers, also dressed for dinner, in one of the specialty restaurants.

Don't hesitate to give NCL a try.

Nice to read something really positive about NCL (John G). However I wouldn't touch 'em with a 10 foot poll!!!

I have heard both good and bad things about NCL with the bad far out-weighing the good. Ask a few people about their refund policies and their tipping requirements or the price of the drinks.I will admit their inteneries are some of the best to the Caribbean but that's all I will give them.

Regards,

James.

We've been on three Norwegian cruises. Have to agree with most of what I have read. Won't go back on Norwegian.

Freestyle dining is not what the advertisements show. Our name was put on a waiting list (sometimes up to 2 hours); even when we called ahead and requested a specific dining room and/or dining time.

When the item in the buffet line was empty, the standard answer was, "well, that's all there is".

The last Norwegian cruise we took was to Hawaii (10 days). The ship didn't stop at two of the islands. Never offered an explanation and only refunded $2.33 (total).

We won't cruise Norwegian again.

As I said, <> We have not had a problem when we did it that way....reserve on the first afternoon. If you do not, that is likely when you will go on a waiting list. At any rate, we like it.