• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska-Cruisetour

Rate this topic

Countrylady

HI I will be taking an alaskan cruise tour in early June 08. I would appreciate any help or info on the ports of call etc. We will be leaving from Seward and heading south after time spent in the interior. We are relatively new to cruising(only 2 under our belts), but really enjoy the vacations. Thanks for any info on the area you can give me.

Thanks for the replies. As I said I am new to this use of computer tech. We leave June 8th from Anchorage and go to Denali, Fairbanks and Tallenka(may have mispelled that) and back to Seward to leave on the cruise June 13th. We will be with RCI Radiance of the seas. On the cruise we stop at Juneau, Ketchican, Icy Strait Point I believe. The cruise ends in Vancouver at which time we will catch a plane to fly home. That is a farm outside of California MO. Both of our previous cruise have been with RCI out of Galveston TX. Both were fun. This will be a retirement celebration of sorts for my husband and I. I am a retired educator(who still teaches part time). My husband is planning on retiring this spring from the Univeristy in Jefferson City. I hope this info helps. Thanks again. Countrylady

You'll love the Radiance. She's one of my favortes! We just got off her on the 5th of January. She has lots of glass excellent for viewing the glaciers and the wildlife.

Juneau go to Mendenhall glacier you can get there by bus and see the face of it or you could take the helicopter and walk on the glacier. This is a great whale watching stop. We went with a private tour and it was excellent. If you want the name I'll get it for you.

Ketchikan, totem poles, lumberjack show, float plane to Misty Fjords. I did the float plane on our own and will also get you the name of the company if you want it.

Never been to Icy Strait so can't help with that.

Best advice for Alaska, is if you want to do it, SPEND THE MONEY!!! The first time we went I cheaped out and always regretted it.

Juneau go to Mendenhall glacier you can get there by bus and see the face of it or you could take the helicopter and walk on the glacier. This is a great whale watching stop. We went with a private tour and it was excellent. If you want the name I'll get it for you.

Ketchikan, totem poles, lumberjack show, float plane to Misty Fjords. I did the float plane on our own and will also get you the name of the company if you want it.

Never been to Icy Strait so can't help with that.

Best advice for Alaska, is if you want to do it, SPEND THE MONEY!!! The first time we went I cheaped out and always regretted it.

Do give us the name of your private providers, and what tours they give.

In Alaska, as in most places, you should do research and then decide what you want to do. On our 30th Anniversary cruise in 1998, we were on our own in Sitka (not relevant for Country Lady, but relevant for others). We booked native dancing through the chamber of commerce, and went to the totem pole area on our own. In Ketchikan we walked around and had a great time. In Juneau, where we were docked for 11 hours, it was too rainy for the ski lift up the mountain (it was closed all day) or the glacier (flightseeing was canceled, and visibility was very low), so we took a wildlife cruise part of the day (visibility was OK out of the city) and walked around the town, with a long stop at the state museum, the rest of the day. In Valdez, we took a wonderful boat tour of Prince William Sound. We strongly recommend a mix of tours and doing things on your own.

Having said that, if what you want most is expensive, do it anyway. Who knows when you'll be back.

We can't wait to start planning the details of our May 27, 2008 40th anniversary cruise on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

Hello and welcome to Cruise Crazies!!!

Loved the Alaskan run - probably because we didn't need to fly anywhere to get to the dock in Vancouver. will you have any time in Vancouver or will you be going right to the airport when you disembark? It is an amazing city!

Juneau - I agree the glacier is a must see. Totally amazing! We did a photographic safari tour - boated out to see the humpback whales (there were so many of them and we got so close we managed to get pictures of the barnacles on their fins!) then by bus to the glacier. I haven't been awed (read - without words lol) too often in my life but that glacier did it :o)

Ketchikan we did the Totem Bight tour - sort of slow but the totem poles were interesting and we could see cruise ships heading out - beautiful. I did manage to buy a great (fake) fur coat with eagles on it - really cheap. One of those things you like but are not sure you will actually wear????? But I wear it all the time and have received so many compliments on it.

This is one cruise when a balcony is the best view of all!

Enjoy! And again - welcome!

Hello and welcome to Cruise Crazies!!!

Loved the Alaskan run - probably because we didn't need to fly anywhere to get to the dock in Vancouver. will you have any time in Vancouver or will you be going right to the airport when you disembark? It is an amazing city!

Juneau - I agree the glacier is a must see. Totally amazing! We did a photographic safari tour - boated out to see the humpback whales (there were so many of them and we got so close we managed to get pictures of the barnacles on their fins!) then by bus to the glacier. I haven't been awed (read - without words lol) too often in my life but that glacier did it :o)

Ketchikan we did the Totem Bight tour - sort of slow but the totem poles were interesting and we could see cruise ships heading out - beautiful. I did manage to buy a great (fake) fur coat with eagles on it - really cheap. One of those things you like but are not sure you will actually wear????? But I wear it all the time and have received so many compliments on it.

This is one cruise when a balcony is the best view of all!

Thanks for the reply. We will need to fly out right after we dock. We are cutting the time short for some field work as it is. I am looking forward to our room. It has a balcony. The last cruise we took we were able to get a JS. That was nice. I am anxious to see the wildlife and the history stuff. That is what I attempt to teach. I have been doing a lot of searching on the web also for shopping places. I would like to find shops that will ship your stuff back to the lower 48 so I don't have to deal with it on the plane. Thank again for the reply.

Enjoy! And again - welcome!