• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Would you live at sea?

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

Last night I sa a show about the ResidenSea, a ship that basically is a floating home and travels the world round on one lifelong cruise. It looked wonderful and of course the cost is prohibitive for most of us. My question is if you could would you live like this? I honestly don't think I could. If so perhaps then we would be planning land vacatiions. :biggrin: What about you?

No, I wouldn't like it. Truthfully, I 'NEED' my malls...ha ha!

Years ago while we were on a vacation we considered moving to Hawaii. It's not the same being on a vacation and actually moving somewhere to live, work, etc. Our friends moved to Hawaii and they take every chance they can to come back to the mainland.

Part of the fun of a cruise is looking forward to the anticipation of the trip. If you live on it all the time, what's to look forward to?

I think I could consider it when I am older than I am now ( 63 ) and if health insurance could be applied to the cost such as it might toward residential care. I don't know if I would want to do that particular ship. I would definitely want to be on a ship that would do a varied itinerary, not the same run all the time, something, perhaps that goes around the world. It would be nice if the cabin could be "yours" and you could rent it out to someone else if you wanted to take a week or two off sometime to see friends on land. I think it certainly beats going to assisted living as we define it on land!!!

Our friends moved to Hawaii and they take every chance they can to come back to the mainland.

Why is that do you think?.. what are they missing besides you guys?..

We've talked about it often, Joey...they are on an island, they can only drive so far before they have to get on a plane to go somewhere else. Everything there is brought to the island, much more expensive, and one of their complaints, although they live in a residential area, is that there are too many tourists. Plus, they have jobs, they aren't retired. So they have little time to relax, sit on the beach, things we do when we go there for a vacation. I don't even think they miss their friends and family that much...EVERYONE goes there to visit them. It's the same as when I moved to California from NY. I had so many visitors who wanted to come out here to visit, it got old after awhile!

As far as living on a cruise ship goes, I'd want a different itinerary all the time. I wouldn't want to see the same thing over and over.

And, as far as Walmart is concerned...bite your tongue. Walmart? Good grief. Walmart isn't 'real shopping'.

I know what you mean, Sue....my Hawaii friends find it hard living there. It is so expensive and it costs an arm and a leg to get back to the mainland for family occasions.

I've been in the San Francisco area for 30 years now. I absolutely love it here but it, too, is very expensive. My rent for a four bedroom home in Daly City - with no yard, is $2250/month!!!! I average at least ten visitors - family/friends a year....I love the company but, even that costs a lot of money. Thank God, I can find good wine relatively inexpensively. And great wine for a little more.

That's my biggest complaint about the cruise lines...especially RCI....you cannot ( legally ) bring wine on board...and I think they price their wines too high!

I think I could consider it when I am older than I am now ( 63 ) and if health insurance could be applied to the cost such as it might toward residential care. I don't know if I would want to do that particular ship. I would definitely want to be on a ship that would do a varied itinerary, not the same run all the time, something, perhaps that goes around the world. It would be nice if the cabin could be "yours" and you could rent it out to someone else if you wanted to take a week or two off sometime to see friends on land. I think it certainly beats going to assisted living as we define it on land!!!

Actually the residents vote on where to go, or at least have some input into the ports and itinerary. I am not sure about the rules for renting your cabin or even gifting some time to others.