• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About eating on a cruise

Rate this topic

Suzila

I have a comment about eating on a cruise. We've been on 17 cruises, so we know how abundant and delicious cruise food can be. I've also attended cooking demonstrations on board ship before, and my son attended culinary school, so I do know what it takes to make a dish, such as is served on board ship.

We attended a culinary demonstration on our Monarch of the Seas cruise this past weekend and they showed us just a few recipes...one was a shrimp dish, one was Teramisu, and one was for a salmon. The salmon was dry-rubbed with herbs, and then you put it in the fridge for 48 hours to cure. I'm a pretty good cook, but I never have time to wait, nor the room in my fridge to have a full-sized piece of salmon in my fridge for 48 hours. However, I did think that would be quite nice to make for a party.

The shrimp dish included wine, herbs, other ingredients, plus full heavy cream and salt. I never cook with salt, and we eat pretty low fat most of the time. That shrimp dish was delicious, but just seeing what goes into it really made me think about what I was eating that night at dinner. What I was putting into my body...nothing low fat about it...I knew that, but it's really a miracle more people cruising don't have heart problems. After the chef added the heavy cream and the salt that the recipe called for, he then added more of it. It hurts just thinking about it.

We cruise once or twice a year, and when we go, we take the stairs, walk as much as possible, etc. I was thinking about my next door neighbor who has a heart condition and cruises at least 6 or 7 times a year. He not only eats that way on board ship, but they cook that way at home. And we wonder why we are a nation of overweight, out of shape people.

Well, that's all I wanted to say...we cruised, we ate, and now we drink Slim Fast! After all, I have to be in shape for our next cruise in April.

Sue - We tend to eat a lot more on our cruises than we do at home and do not eat as healthy as we usually do, but that is the exception rather than the rule. The secret to it all is moderation!! - a little splurge once in a while it is OK.

I learned on our last cruise to eat smart. A good breakfast, a light lunch (salad and whatever meat) and then alternate the rich dinners with healthy ones. My big issue with food on the ships is how many people WASTE food! They pile up their plates at the buffets, take a few bites and walk away. I saw one kid put three hamburgers and a ton of fries on his plate and only took a bite or two before running off to the pool. I hope people keep in mind, once it goes on your plate they don't save it. It gets tossed. Take just enough to eat - you can always go back for more. The food isn't going anywhere!

Happy cruising! :laugh:

rendvs - I 100% agree with you. It makes me sick to see the plates in the buffet being thrown away hardly touched. RC just stopped their midnight gala buffet and this is one of the reasons they cited for doing so.

It's great to see you posting. Welcome

Great topic! We tend to eat the "hot" breakfasts on the lido deck but not a lot of it.Lunch is again of a light variety mostly salads or the fish dish. Dinner a soup, main course and dessert which is not always finished followed by coffee. Of course in between the main meals (on Carnival) there is a slice or two of their wonderful pizza and a cone or three of the iced yoghurt. I also enjoy occasionally, after a light lunch later in the afternoon, a toasted deli sandwich (Pastrami on Rye.) Gotta go- I'm hungry!!!!

Regards,

James.