• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SUGGESTIONS PROGRESSO

Rate this topic

Hi, we took the Ectasy out of Galveston to Progresso and at the port we bought a tour from the locals to Reef Club Beach Resort. For $30. It was great, very nice place with free drinks and nice beach and you can use the ameneties at the resort and lunch etc. Carnival also offers the same tour to the same place but CCL calls it Progresso Resort Beach Break.

Thats what I would do, people who cruised with us in another cabin did the kayak and did not like it. :)

You really need to give more of an idea of what you like to do before one can recommend excursions.

We haven't been to Progresso, but we've been close enough to have been to many of the places covered by ship's excursions. We spent eight days in the Yucatan, exploring the wonderful colonial city of Merida, and the fantastic Maya ruins at Uxmal, Chichen Itza, and several smaller Maya sites. If you're a beach bum, follow the advice of cruiser66. If, on the other hand, you want to do something in Progresso that you can't do on one of the islands, Carnival (I assume that's what you'll be on, based on your signature) offers some truly unique-to-the-area experiences:

Dzibilchaltun ruins (with or without a Mexican buffet and horse show). A major Maya site, and quite close to Progresso. Actually, there are at least three excursions to this city: the third is called "Maya ruins and beach break combo". Sort of the best of Maya and beaches.

Chichen Itza or Uxmal. Both wonderful, both long days. I would choose Uxmal over Chichen (even though I liked Chichen slightly more) because it is slightly closer to Progresso, and is less overrun with day trippers than Chichen. Uxmal is prettier than Chichen because of the Puuc period architecture; but Chichen is slightly more interesting. BTW, Joan and I are both "Maya freaks" who have been interested in the Maya since elementary school.

Yucatan cultural experience. Sounds like a winner.

Merida. A beautiful place. At least three excursions to this city: plain, with the horse show and a Mexican buffet, and on a Segway.

Caves and caverns snorkeling. If you do want water activites, rather than sightseeing, this sounds more interesting than a beach.

Izamal. I'm not familiar with this city, so I can't comment.

So there's lots to do, whatever your tastes. From what I've heard, Progresso itself is no great shakes, so you probably want to take an excursion, either private or through the ship. This is one place where you should read a good guide book before you decide on your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Progresso twice this year and would like some not to miss suggestions.

We just got off the shuttle from the ship in town in Progreso, shopped the craft market in the square outside the library, where they drop you off, and then wandered through town to visit the fish market. Then we walked down to the public beach. We enjoyed the water, there are plenty of vendors with tents and tables to purchase drink. Across the street from the public beach it is lined with restaurants. We found one we liked, ate, and they even had changing rooms to change out of our bathing suits.