• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Cruise Review: 02-24-08

Rate this topic

deb1220

Title :: 02-24-08

Author :: deb1220

Category :: Adventure Of The Seas

Information ::

• The overall experience was great! The ship is enormous and kept exceptionally clean. The service was very good from the cabin stewardess to the bar service.
Description ::

Southern Caribbean

We (my husband, son & I) left Detroit (DTW) right on time (Delta Airlines) - 8:00 am Sunday morning. We had to catch a connecting flight out of Atlanta to San Juan. We were all on the plane, ready to go when the pilot came on and said we all had to get off and get on another plane because of mechanical problems. That plane didn't leave until 2 hours later.

Embarkation was painless because we did not arrive to the port until just before 7 pm. We had Main Seating so we missed dinner but had a good meal in the Windjammer.

We went to the Lyric Theater at 10:30 pm for the first show. It was fantastic! It was a comedy juggler - Charlie Frye & Co. and a comedian - Derrick Cameron (who also did an adult comedy show on Monday night).

We only ate in the dining room 3 times (for various reasons) and the service was wonderful. One day we had a good sized lunch at Johnny Rockets - alot of fun!

I was disappointed that I couldn't get tickets to the ice show. I guess I have to act faster.

The Cruise Director - Mike is the best we've ever had! Very funny, entertaining and personable!

The two shows featuring "The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers" left a little to be desired. The talent was there. It was just the show production value was lacking.

The show featuring Kenny James (singer/entertainer) was OK but too "Vegas" for my taste. But the final night's entertainment with an encore of Charlie Frye & Co. and comedian George Kanter was superb!

My husband came down with the flu Mon. night but it was a mild case because he had the vaccination. I have it now, but even less than what he had. We still had a wonderful time.

Aruba - Been there before. We took a taxi tour around the island visiting some places we didn't before like the "California Lighthouse".

Curacao - We just did our own walking tour - walking across the pontoon bridge, visiting the floating market and taking many photos - very picturesque!

St. Maarten/Martin - Also took a taxi tour touring the whole island-Marigot, Philllipsburg and even stopped by the nude beach only to find a nude gentleman laying in a lounge chair - much to the chagrin of the men on the tour - LOL!

St. Thomas - Have been here twice before so I didn't even get off the ship. I really enjoyed sitting by the pool doing my Kakuro puzzles and reading (and having a rum runner or two).

Disembarkation wasn't too bad except for the confusion on which bus we were supposed to get on to get to the airport - no signs, no numbers on the busses, etc..

We had an easy time at the San Juan airport. Much to our relief because previously we had a rough time there. Once we got to Atlanta we had 3 different gate changes because the connecting plane was going to be late. Well, it ended up being over 3 hours late. We were supposed to be back in Detroit by 9:30 pm but did not arrive until almost 2 am!

Overall a great experience. If nothing else we escaped two snow storms while we were gone!

View Review

The taxi tour in Aruba was $20/person for a 4 hour tour. The one in St. Maarten was $15/person for a 3 hour tour (but it ended up being almost 4 hours). Both were well worth it. I saw many guests from our ship renting cars, (on St. Maarten) but after I saw the crazy traffic on the island, I'm glad we didn't!

The taxi tour in Aruba was $20/person for a 4 hour tour. The one in St. Maarten was $15/person for a 3 hour tour (but it ended up being almost 4 hours). Both were well worth it. I saw many guests from our ship renting cars, (on St. Maarten) but after I saw the crazy traffic on the island, I'm glad we didn't!

Thanks for the info...We were considering renting a car in st maarteen.... so basically it was 100 dollars (with Tip ) per couple for st maarteen....