• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Question of the Day

Rate this topic

Today's Question: Shore excursions can be obtained everywhere...from the cruise line, through private websites (like shoretrips.com) ...still some people prefer Private guided tours.. and of course others prefer to be "on your own"... What is your favorite type of shore excursion?...

if we are part of a group we like to do the private or on our own excursions. however, when its just me and my son i will use the cruise line excursions just for the peace of mind.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We prefer to be on our own. We've found that it's usually less expensive. We do alot of research beforehand so we can make a somewhat educated decision on what to do at each port.

We always compare the three alternatives of ship's excursions, private excursions, and walking around the port on our own. What we choose depends on the port, and on whether we are able to hook up with at least one couple.

In Bermuda, we explored the island on our own: no excursions, ship's or private. In Europe, we couldn't get another couple to share trips with us, so private excursions were more expensive than ship's excursions. With 4 people, private would have been cheaper. On our last cruise, to the Caribbean, we did independent excursions with another couple in 4 ports, and on our own in one, with nothing through the ship. We routinely paid half or less than half of what the ship charged.

In Alaska, we'll probably do three ship's excursions. One is a Tracy Arm cruise leaving directly from the ship, and obviously available only through the ship. For the other two, the price difference between private and ship's excursions is less than $3 per person - not worth the effort of "going private". But we'll do Juneau and Victoria, and probably Sitka, on our own.

Good sources for information on private tours are this and other cruise boards, Virtual Tourist, and Trip Advisor. For odd places such as Bequia and Grenada, Virtual Tourist is our main information source.

Good sources for information on private tours are this and other cruise boards, Virtual Tourist, and Trip Advisor. For odd places such as Bequia and Grenada, Virtual Tourist is our main information source.

Joanandjoe Great Tips!.. thanks..

We do both ways- when i thought I'd be snorkeling by myself, I went through the ship's excursions- but with groups usually we go through private or other excursion tours.

When I first on our first cruise with the kids- we just hung around the port- and got a taxi bus to the nearest beach...how far we've come!! :biggrin:

Stephanie

Joanandjoe Great Tips!.. thanks..

Try it. If you think it's easy to find an book a taxi tour of Bequia in advance, or snorkeling in Grenada on the same boat as the ship's excursion (but at half the cost), think again. VT has tips on almost anything. They also have forums where you can ask your travel questions.

As others have said it all depends. Have done them every way possible. Most shipboard excursions are somewhat of a rip off. Except on Azamara where they seem quite reasonable, so we will most likely do some of them. We have done everything from hiring (in advance) a stretch limo in Dublin to walking around a port on our own. Last year in Rome I hired a limo to pick us up at the airport which turned out to be the right thing to do. When we arrived all the cabs were on strike, but our limo was there and waiting for us. Used the same company to get to the port the next morning.

Research is always the key, IMHO.

I agree with the research part Ed!

If I'm going alone or with DD we use the ships tours for safety reasons. Most of the time now we book private tours since they really are a great value. Sometimes we just hire a cab and go, depends on the port.