• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

2009 CruiseCrazies ® Group Cruise

Rate this topic

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The port that I'm looking the most forward to visiting is Willemstad Curacao. For a number of years, I taught a reading class of 7th grade students. One of the books that I used in the class was a book called "The Cay" written by Theadore Taylor.

It's the story of Phillip Enright an 11-year-old boy living on the Dutch island of Curaçao with his family during World War II. Curacao was threatened by German U-Boats interested in a path to the Panama Canal. Phillip and his mother boarded a ship to return to the US and their ship was sunk by a German Submarine. He is separated from his mother and floats ashore on a cay on a raft with an old black man, Timothy, who pulled Phillip onboard the raft after Philiip was hit in the head as the ship was sinking. The story is about how Timothy and Phillip live together on the island and develop an unbreakable bond as the two get to know each other. After being rescued from the cay and returning to Curaçao, Phillip gets his sight restored by surgery. Afterwards, he spends a lot of time talking to the black people of the island, for he feels close to them. Some of them had even known old Timothy of Charlotte Amalie.

There was a lot of description of Willemstad and I'm looking forward to actually being on the site of this story.

That's another great thing about this cruise, the islands. My favorite is all of them! We have not been to Barbados, Aruba, or Curacao but from what I have heard they are all great. St Lucia is probably the most senic. The Pitons are awsome.

The port that I'm looking the most forward to visiting is Willemstad Curacao. For a number of years, I taught a reading class of 7th grade students. One of the books that I used in the class was a book called "The Cay" written by Theadore Taylor.

It's the story of Phillip Enright an 11-year-old boy living on the Dutch island of Curaçao with his family during World War II. Curacao was threatened by German U-Boats interested in a path to the Panama Canal. Phillip and his mother boarded a ship to return to the US and their ship was sunk by a German Submarine. He is separated from his mother and floats ashore on a cay on a raft with an old black man, Timothy, who pulled Phillip onboard the raft after Philiip was hit in the head as the ship was sinking. The story is about how Timothy and Phillip live together on the island and develop an unbreakable bond as the two get to know each other. After being rescued from the cay and returning to Curaçao, Phillip gets his sight restored by surgery. Afterwards, he spends a lot of time talking to the black people of the island, for he feels close to them. Some of them had even known old Timothy of Charlotte Amalie.

There was a lot of description of Willemstad and I'm looking forward to actually being on the site of this story.

love your story...thanks. I'm going to go to the library and look for the book.

love your story...thanks. I'm going to go to the library and look for the book.

see teach you are still inspiring! :thumbup:

I love St Lucia, and my wife loves St Martin. The only time we went to Aruba, where it hardly ever rains, they had a deluge with flooded streets etc. We wound up spending the time in the pierside bar!

I love St Lucia, and my wife loves St Martin. The only time we went to Aruba, where it hardly ever rains, they had a deluge with flooded streets etc. We wound up spending the time in the pierside bar!

Pierside Bar doesn't sound bad at all in a rain storm - LOL!!! That gets my vote.

Good Morning All!

Please sign me up for the slot pull. I did one on my last Connie cruise and it was great fun! I contributed $21 and walked away with $26-- but at least we didn't lose! If I may make a suggestion, we found it to be very helpful if everyone tries to have small bills-- particularly singles so that it's easier to make change when paying everyone at the end.

I've visited all of the ports before-- but I guess I'm looking forward to Barbados the most. I was only there for a very short time 8 years ago. It will be nice to see more of the island this time.

hey marylou... my mind started to ponder.. please excuse me.....The picture you posted was of quarter machines.. just to make sure i understand .. we are using a dollar machine with the maximum credits per pull? When everyone has had their pull .. we cash out ...if there is anything to cash out that is and divide the winnings by number of persons that contributed to the origional stake...if I have that right.. here is my next question...is all the money put in the machine at once?