• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What is your Ideal Length of Cruise

Rate this topic

A week is a good time for us. After retirement will kick it up to 10 days to two weeks. Right now it's hard to be gone more than a week.

That will change with the Cruise Crazie Group in Nov. 2009 but will only have two months left to work when we get back so who cares!

Typically we enjoy 10 - 14 days, but have done a couple of longer cruises and loved them both, especially if they included many sea days. If it's a port intensive cruise i.e. Europe, then I think 12 days would be max. for this type of cruise which typically only has one or maybe two sea days - it becomes too exhausting.

Once we stepped over the 7 day cruise, there's no turning back. The first step was 10 days with 3 vacation days after (babysteps); next was 14 after that was 16 with one vacation day prior. The next one will be 15 cruise days but up to at least 3 vacation days prior to sailing.

Since I've never been on a ship past 16, it's hard to say what 21 or longer would be like. But, I could retire on a cruise ship and have jokingly said that is where you will find me when it's time to retire. So, I'm guessing that no length of time is too long.

Charlie and I like to do 2 7-day back-to-back cruises. We were on an 11 night cruise once and my husband said that it was a floating nursing home- no one on board who had a job--so, he likes to do b2bs and have a wider age range, even tho he's been retired for 10 years. I guess a few old ones are fun, but a ship load is a drag! This summer it should be an older crowd in Alaska, but he'll just have to suck it up!

We've done a max of 10. I suppose maybe 12 would be OK but that would be it. If we do 7 then we try to combine a land stay in the embarkation port for a few days. Seven days just ain't enough time for vacation. :biggrin: