• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Price of Gasoline

Rate this topic

rogue

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are making me feel old. When I go t my first car gas was 15 cents per gallon and for years never got up to 20 cents!

Last week I filled up for $3.47 a gallon and that afternoon it went to $3.61 and I was happy I saved some money. Now that is sad!

You guys are making me feel old. When I go t my first car gas was 15 cents per gallon and for years never got up to 20 cents!

Last week I filled up for $3.47 a gallon and that afternoon it went to $3.61 and I was happy I saved some money. Now that is sad!

I know what you mean...Our gas went up 10 cents over night. I'm kicking myself because I didn't fill-up yesterday!

My husband has found out his job is going to (Hopefully) temporally relocate. The building he works out of is going to add on and his dept. has to move until the remodel is finished. Well anyway, the new location is about 25 miles further away. His daily round trip will be about 70 miles. His truck gets about 17 mpg. We are going to have to get something that gets better gas milleage...

It looks like we are either going to be making a new car payment we can't afford or filling up the gas tank every other day practically which we can't afford...You just can't win sometimes it seems :sad2:

Andrea

I remember 19 cents a gallon. I had a motorcycle then and I would fill up the tank and get change back from a quarter.

Oh, yes - milk was 20 cents a gallon and bread was 15 cents a loaf and the newspaper was three cents. The New York City subway was ten cents, and the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn and the Giants still at the Polo Grounds.

I remember 19 cents a gallon. I had a motorcycle then and I would fill up the tank and get change back from a quarter.

Oh, yes - milk was 20 cents a gallon and bread was 15 cents a loaf and the newspaper was three cents. The New York City subway was ten cents, and the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn and the Giants still at the Polo Grounds.

"those Were the Days!!"

I don't remember how much gas was that far back...since I lived in New York and didn't move out here until I was 22, I didn't drive. But, my first date with my future hubby, he picked me up on his motorcycle and he filled it for a quarter. I do remember that.

Also, I remember the NY subway was 15c, and yes, the 'hated' Dodgers were in Brooklyn, (still 'hated' and I live in Los Angeles!)...my Dad used to work at the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium, so spent my summers at the ball games...later on at Shea Stadium.

I also remember being able to walk down to the corner candy store and buy my Dad "King-sized Chesterfields"...which he smoked three packs a day until the very first health warning came out, and he stopped cold-turkey. Those Chesterfields cost a whopping 35c/pack.

Filled up my gas tank yesterday...it will last me about a week. It was $3.89/gallon.

Gas, today, where I live is 4.19 per gallon. I filled up on Long Island yesterday for 3.99. Saved the 20c per. I remember when gas went to $1.00, and all the stations had to have their pumps recalculated, they never thought it would go over a dollar. I think they were selling it for awhile by the liter. Wasn't that around the time when you had to fill up on alternate days, and wait on line to buy gas.... I think as recently as the early 80's. I remember, because we also bought our first house in '79, with interest rate at 16%. now it's 6%. This too shall pass, but lets get the govenment to get on the bandwagon for some alternate fuels, and I don't mean corn.

I remember the time when there was gas rationing and you could only get gas on certain days. I also remember being absolutley livid when gas went to .58 a gallon. Wish I could just find some for under 3.00 a gallon now...

When I started driving in 1980 was when gas went over $1.00 a gallon in AR and the pumps couldn't calculate more than ..99 cents per gallon - so they bumped the price back to 1/2 and charged you double. The stations did that until they could get the new pumps.

Gas is $3.65 here still... Supposed to go up at least 10 cents tomorrow so we filled up everything today.

Andrea :cool2: