• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska: Ships can apply for Glacier Bay entries

Rate this topic

Cruise ship companies can apply for 10 year contracts to enter Glacier Bay

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -- Cruise ship companies have until Aug. 18 to apply to the National Park Service for the right to bring ships into Glacier Bay.

The companies compete every 10 years for the highly desired contracts that allow limited entry into the bay from June through August.

The upcoming contracts cover the period from 2010 to 2019.

No more than two cruise ships per day are allowed in the bay over the course of 153 days. But those numbers can vary from year to year depending on the outcome of scientific studies on marine and other wildlife and of surveys on visitor experience.

Wow! I didn't realize the contracts were for 10 years! Just think of how the industry has grown in the last 10 years, and how many new ships have been christened. I can imagine the amount of interest will be vey high. Thanks for the info.

Kevin

That's very interesting, I never knew about the contracts and the limited number of ships allowed to enter. Wow.
Only Princess, HAL, NCL, and Cruise West are allowed under the current contract.(I Think)

Where does Royal Carribean go on their Alaskan cruises?

Kevin