• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

No more formal nights on Carnival!

Rate this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We enjoy dressing on formal night. It is something we rarely do anywhere but on a cruise, so it is all part of the cruise experience. I would never wear jeans on any night to dinner.

What am I missing here? They aren't going to call it 'formal night' anymore, but they still aren't allowing jeans on 'Cruise Elegant' dining night. They renamed it, that's all. And now, on casual nights you can wear jeans. On NCL they specify that if you wear jeans to dinner, they need to be nice ones...no holes, etc. And there are specific dining rooms that won't allow jeans at all.

I don't care either way. They listed certain restrictions and they're pretty easy to stick to.

We go to enough affairs here at home where we have to dress up, and really, it's not my favorite, nor my hubby's favorite thing to do. I'm more for casual.

Why would one care what the rest of the people are doing about dress? You and your party can dress up or dress down - suit yourself.

Judson its just that we feel that the ones that "choose" to ignore the dress code of the evening detracts from the over all ambience of the evening...

I agree about how great it looks but I do have a slight problem about dictating dress. I know - I can choose to stay out of places that have dress code rules. And I always have the appropriate clothing for formal nights on board ship as we do eat in the dining room every night.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!! I remember a principal that I had at one point in time that made a rule for teachers at the school where I taught that said "All males must wear dress ties to work." HHHHHHHmmmmm - Now keep in mind, that rule did not apply to male coaches - they were exempt. Of course, the majority of the teachers were female and there were no dress codes for them like wearing hose, etc. And I wore ties 99% of the time. One day when I didn't wear a tie, he flew into my room near the end of the day and blew his top and I had not seen him all day so you know he heard from someone else that I didn't have a tie on. I called my union rep that night and the next day, we filed a grievance against the "Tie Rule."

Really - it didn't take a genius to know that the rule would not stand up legally. Two days later, after I met with the principal, the faculty was advised that the rule would be dropped. I still continued to wear a tie 99% of the time. LOL - I can't say that the teacher/principal relationship was great but I always made sure that I had all my ducks in the right row. :rolleyes2:

As far as I can see no one is stopping anyone from dressing up so whats everyone's problem?

No, no one is stopping anyone from dressing up. But I will quote what Joey said, "Its just that we feel that the ones that "choose" to ignore the dress code of the evening detracts from the over all ambience of the evening"...

I for one don't want to walk into the dining room and feel like I have walked into an IHOP. That is the problem.

Hazelson....

Jeans have always been allowed in the dining room. I have wore them on all my cruises dating back to 1992. They are nice jeans of course....

Carnivals 'NEW' policy only proves what i have been saying all along however more importantly they could never really stop all the jeans. They tried....oh well.......

My wife and i usually sit on the Promenade deck and watch the flow of people that are coming fromdinner and going to dinner. OMG....seriously, when ladies where those dresses 5+ years old from their hgih school reunions, weddings, proms and whatever...........give me a break that takes away from my dining experience.

If you wanna complain about dress what about hairstyles?....lol

Wow ,Ken will be thrilled...........He would never wear jeans in the dining room but he will be happy that dress pants and shirts are now acceptable........Personally I don't care what other people wear as long as they don't look like bums.........I have never seen anyone in the dining that looked like that so I am not worried

I certainly hope it doesn't become a trend. That would deffinately keep me OFF a certain cruiseline if they just do away with formal night. We also love the dress up and people who don't follow the dress code DO take away from the ambience. Very sad indeed if this happens.

It does say in the Elegant formal description that jeans are NOT allowed so let's keep hoping that formal night remains,