• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

No more formal nights on Carnival!

Rate this topic

On our Carnival cruise 2 months ago we had someone in jeans on both formal nights at the table next to us - it certainly does detract from the elegant feeling - someone here said it perfectly, to us it felt like we were at the IHOP! To each his own, maybe if this is how Carnival wants to separate their products then it's a good thing - we can then choose the specific "dress" experience that we want on Princess, HAL, or Cunard.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think Carnival is thinking ahead.....With the luggage retrictions on airlines you will have to take less luggage. I think eventually every line will follow suit and leave it up to the passenger. Takes the burden off if you still want to attend "Cruise Elegant Night". Some people travel on a strict budget and saving that luggage charge is a help........Just my opinion

Maybe they should split the dining times into Elegant and Formal instead of late or early........this way those that stand on the ambiance can attend where everyone is formal and the people that chose to go "Elegant Casual" will be together............just a thought

Have spoken with the others going on the fall foliage cruise and they are all very happy with the new rules - ok mostly the men. If they can avoid that suit they will - for sure. They will all be sporting dress slacks, shirts and ties but no cumbersome suit jacket and shoes.

Guess it will save us a few bucks!!!!! More to spend in the gift shops lol.

We don't like it. Weenjoy dressing up but with travel it may be a sign of the times. On our last Carnival cruise in March we had another benifit to formal night. The guests at the table next to us did not come to formals nights. Problably couldn't tie the tie and lost their clip-ons!

• 1 year later...

Times are changing. I remember in Las Vegas, you dressed formal to go to the dinner shows.

Now anything goes. They just want to fill the showrooms. And the shows are not cheap anymore.

However you can dress up if you want. No one seems to mind, too much one way of the other.

i like the idea of no mandatory formals. that way you still can dress up if you want and the same if you don't. my problem with dressup is then i want to take all my fancy dress because i have no idea what mood i'll be in when the time comes. now, i'll take what i feel like right then and there and be happy. might not make sense to men but, i think most women would understand.[/size]

Now that the packing "laws" have changed, I have to eat my original words about dressing up. Not having to pack the fancy beaded outfits and fancy shoes will give me plenty of room. (I tend to bring it all because I never know what will fit and what mood I will be in.) And, Jerry won't have to worry about his tuxedo pants not buttoning.

Again, I like "playing dress up", but I think I can do that with a less formal look and still look dressy.