• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

No more formal nights on Carnival!

Rate this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this thread is over a year old and I am just now seeing it...glad I did. I read it to Greg and he was thrilled - the tux and the suit will not be making the trip now. I already had one cocktail gown, evening shoes and bag in the garment bag, but I am going to pull them out. I agree that if you want to dress formally, you should, but like Suzilla said, we go to enough occassions that require it that I don't really enjoy it when I am on vacation. I will wear jeans to the dining room - they will be very nice jeans, and I will wear a nice top, jewelry and high heels with it. I am very glad that Carnival has made this change...we have been to some very nice restaurants and saw people in jeans - it didn't detract from my dining experience one bit.

I asked my husband about wearing his tuxedo on formal nights, and he said he thinks it makes him look better. Frankly, I believe as men grow older, the more they "dress up", the better they look. It's pretty much the same with women. When I was younger (eons ago!), I could go out with no bra, cutoff shorts, no makeup and I looked pretty good (being a size 5 helped too!). Our next cruise is on Dec. 5th, and we will be in formal attire on formal night. And we always have pictures to prove how good we can look when we try! Sometimes the clothes do make the man....at least for a few hours :tongue:

I agree that men look very sexy in a tux or suit.....it almost makes me go weak in the knees to see Greg in his tux, but I will let him have a pass, since he has to dress up every day to go to the office. He enjoys not having to wear a jacket and tie when on vacation. I was looking at the Hogs On The High Seas cruise website, and they completely takeover one of the dining rooms on "formal night". They said that their only requirement for those nights is that you have something leather on. I really want to do their cruise in 2010 but haven't convinced Greg of that one, as they are on Royal Caribbean and are a little pricey. We were in port in Grand Cayman and in Cozumel with them when we did our cruise on the Conquest last year.

I'm still 50/50. I don't dress up in Tucson so I enjoy dressing up. But, I don't like packing all the dress up stuff (and stuff to go with it). Men really have it easier: shirt, pants, tie, jacket. And, they don't care if they wear the same outfit over and over.

I did some packing today for our cruise and it was so much easier - I had actually already packed, but took everything out and repacked it today. There are no longer any panyhose, high heels, evening wear, etc. in there. Between Greg's office dinners and church banquets, I get more than enough opportunities to wear cocktail dresses. I do see how someone who didn't get to do the whole "formal thing" occasionally, would really enjoy it, and I think they should go for it. It is a great opportunity for pictures, but we have so many of those that we haven't even gone to the "photo stations" the past few cruises anyway. I think this is great - those who want to dress to the nines can do so and those who want to feel a bit more comfortable on their vacation can do so without being made to feel out of place, or like they are "ruining" everyone else's dinner.....the best of both worlds!!!