• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

cruise employee ready to give advice

Rate this topic

danna

I often comment directly to the maitre d, bar manager, head housekeeper and f & b manager. It sounds like we should put our positive comments in writing, however. Right?

Carmen Henesy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often comment directly to the maitre d, bar manager, head housekeeper and f & b manager. It sounds like we should put our positive comments in writing, however. Right?

Carmen Henesy

Verbal is always good but written is much better. Cruises are always so hectic for all staff and management and things are often forgotten. If there is a piece of paper floating around it will be found again. Do both and that way the message will definately get across. And if you want to go one step further write a note to the hotel director as well.

I always bring gifts for guest services - big bags of pistachio nuts, candy, biscotti for their morning coffee - and it is clearly labeled: For the guest services STAFF, the workers, not management... I give management their own gifts. I always wait in line and go up to them and say, " I have a complaint" - they look at me, in surprise, and say, "What is it, Miss Carmen?" "The sun isn't shining bright enough today." or some other such silly thing. I know they listen to nonstop complaints. Theirs has to be a difficult job. I was so surprised late one night when I stopped by to chat with the night person. There was only ONE person on duty and the phone kept ringing non stop.

Carmen Henesy

This is why you will always recieve the best treatment anyone on board can give!!!

hi all. I am a cruise ship employee and have been for many years in a few different departments and i am willing to give advice on any subject. Just know that you may not like my answers but they will be truthful from a staff members point of view. Ask away

I recieved a message from the big boss about my comments on children had upset some of you on my other post (that was removed). But if you read my first post I did say you may not like my answers. Do not in future ask me questions that you think may upset someone else. I will always answer truthfuly.

Actually as there are many Indian employees on the ships we take Indian snacks and give some to those we meet. You are very likely to have an Indian waiter, cabin steward, etc. They really do appreciate it. Basically we justtry tobe nice and keep in mind how hard they work. We have cruised six times so far and only once have met an employee who was "off her game" so to speak. I did report her as she was just plain rude, argumentative and just wasn't at all what one expects from cruise line employees. OTOH I have always written letters to the cruise co. afterwards and do mention names of those who served us so well.

I cant tell you which ships i have worked on as you never know what management is reading these posts. We are all put through a lot of training on how to talk to guests. Which i have never adhered to The cruise line is a very fake industry and i refuse to buy into the kiss ass way we are supose to treat a guest.

and it shows .. don't think you are fooling people.. in fact how does that song go ..."whose zoomin who"? :biggrin:

had you ever thought of going into a career with less demanding skills.. maybe someplace where you say "would you like fries with that?"

and I Imagine you are as popular with the guests as they think they are with you! :wink2:

I cant tell you which ships i have worked on as you never know what management is reading these posts. We are all put through a lot of training on how to talk to guests. Which i have never adhered to The cruise line is a very fake industry and i refuse to buy into the kiss ass way we are supose to treat a guest.

and it shows .. don't think you are fooling people.. in fact how does that song go ..."whose zoomin who"? :biggrin:

had you ever thought of going into a career with less demanding skills.. maybe someplace where you say "would you like fries with that?"

and I Imagine you are as popular with the guests as they think they are with you! :wink2:

If you read the following post to that you will have read this:

Guests are more happy when they are treated with respect and talked to as a person not a money basket.

The industry is two faced (like most but not all customer related industries). There is the customer face and the behind the scences face. I am trying to give you all a behind the scence face look and if you dont like it - stop reading it!!!

I am trying to give you all a behind the scence face look and if you dont like it - stop reading it!!!

And what I am telling you..... is the public understands.. the public is not amused.. and the public doesn't appreciate the way the some crew members are performing their job.. i feel ..we feel it's the crew that doesn't understand!!

I am sorry if you are taking my observations and opinions as criticisms, however I must say if you are that easily offended maybe you should stop posting here and go back to the dark side.. because here at CruiseCrazies we maintain a certain level of dignity.. everyone has their own opinion we retain the right to disagree respectfully but no one's opinion is wrong!!

Either way I will continue to defend my positions in what i hope are intelligent well thoughtful and respectful means.. will you do the same please..

I am trying to give you all a behind the scence face look and if you dont like it - stop reading it!!!

And what I am telling you..... is the public understands.. the public is not amused.. and the public doesn't appreciate the way the some crew members are performing their job.. i feel ..we feel it's the crew that doesn't understand!!

I am sorry if you are taking my observations and opinions as criticisms, however I must say if you are that easily offended maybe you should stop posting here and go back to the dark side.. because here at CruiseCrazies we maintain a certain level of dignity.. everyone has their own opinion we retain the right to disagree respectfully but no one's opinion is wrong!!

Either way I will continue to defend my positions in what i hope are intelligent well thoughtful and respectful means.. will you do the same please..

I have set up a new thread

'cruise employee vote'

make your vote count