• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

China: Yangtze River Cruise

Rate this topic

Mrs oldmovie and I will be leaving for a tour of China from the UK in mid September 2008. Part of the tour will be an eight night cruise down the Yangste River from Shanghai to Chongqing. The cruise line is Victoria cruises and the ship is the 'Prince'. If anyone has done this cruise and can pass on some tips we will be very much obliged.

Mrs oldmovie and I will be leaving for a tour of China from the UK in mid September 2008. Part of the tour will be an eight night cruise down the Yangste River from Shanghai to Chongqing. The cruise line is Victoria cruises and the ship is the 'Prince'. If anyone has done this cruise and can pass on some tips we will be very much obliged.

Yes, we want to see photos, and how about a review?

We usually do something in Sept and we have some friends trying to talk us into joining them in Mexico. It looks like the economy wont allow it this year as we still have the balance to pay for on our upcoming New year cruise.

Give our best to Mrs oldmovie. :smile::smile:

[

Yes, we want to see photos, and how about a review?

We usually do something in Sept and we have some friends trying to talk us into joining them in Mexico. It looks like the economy wont allow it this year as we still have the balance to pay for on our upcoming New year cruise.

Give our best to Mrs oldmovie. :smile::smile:

Hi Keith and Rita

As I said to Jennifer I will be snapping and will take some notes for a review. I guess it wont be such a relaxing cruise as the 'Connie' was at New Year and by the way, guess who we saw bopping away on the deck at midnight, you two, a friend had found something on the internet and emailed it over, you two sure cut a rug. We are prepared for a 'busy' Chinese cruise which is fine by us but we understand there is entertainment in the evenings with the Chinese crew and contributions from guests. Jean has made me swear that 'San Francisco' will not pass my lips on karaoke night. Hope that you have settled well and truly in the house and are enjoying life there. Our next foot fall in the USA should be early next year when we re visit Las Vegas, If you make Mexico, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 4 night cruise down the Yangtze last October on a different cruise line, and had a wonderful time.

Breakfast on our cruise was an international mix - Chinese, pancakes, bacon, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt...you get the idea. Lunches and dinners were strictly Chinese cuisine.

Activities on board included tai chi, shows by the crew, amateur night by the passengers, and spa services including reflexology and Chinese massages which were more reasonably priced than here in the states, but quite a bit pricier than could be had in the cities.

We got a sampan tour up one of the tributaries, visited the city of the dead Feng Du, and of course we stopped at the 3 rivers dam.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat. We were only there two weeks, and it wasn't long enough. The people are very friendly and will approach you to practice their English.

Redbaroness

Thank you for your kind offer, I shall be in touch if I need questions answered. Having seen some reviews on 'x' vis a vis Yangste Cruises they are as you describe, with shows put on by the crew and guests. The onboard cuisine is not a problem as we do like to try the local dishes and I suspect the 'local' Chinese food will be somewhat different to what is served up at our local restaurant, though Mrs oldmovie says she draws the line at eating from a kerb side vendor, we saw some in Bangkok that would have put a starving man off. Sounds like you had a good time, I trust we will be able to report the same.

sailingrose

Thank you for your kind wishes.