• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

First time to Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta

Rate this topic

cruisingcats

that serves real mexican food?

Thanks

I would think all three ports would serve "real" Mexican food...LOL :tongue:

Seriously though ....no we can't help you there... we tend to shy away from resturants and food establishments in mexico..

I know they serve "real" Mexican food :wink2: Was hoping to have the actual food not the stuff they serve you here in the States. If I may ask why do shy away from them? Maybe we don't want to eat there.

I know they serve "real" Mexican food :wink2: Was hoping to have the actual food not the stuff they serve you here in the States. If I may ask why do shy away from them? Maybe we don't want to eat there.

our concerns stem from years ago when David and his best friend went to Mexico and got FOOD POISONING.. That of course was years ago.. when the rule of thumb was don't drink the water..

since that time I am sure the food handling and sanitation procedures have improved greatly.. it's just when you have been burned once you are cautious when you approach the fire..

I would think as long as you go to Senior Frogs or Hooters(Mazatlan) or some nationally recognized chain you should be fine.. I do know that some of the restaurants/bars at the piers where the ships dock, seem to be very popular with the cruise passengers and I really haven't heard of the negative type reports that happened to David..

My best advice as you would here in the states.. use your best judgment just be careful.....

We've done Mexican Riveria a number of times: Carnival twice and Celebrity once. Both ships offer excursions. Both ships will tell you where to shop, what to be careful about, how to barter, etc.

A couple of things you need to remember:

1. Some of the places your will visit are on different time zones. You need to keep track of YOUR ship time and not pay attention to what you are told (i.e., Si senor, we are on ship's time)

2. Five months from now should be whale season. DEFINITELY book an early whale site seeing excursion. We did it from Cabo (through Shore Trips) and were very pleased. This will give you plenty of time to walk around Cabo.

3. Don't drink the water. I don't care what you are told. Buy bottled water. Be careful of the ice. Remember, you are still in Mexico. Doesn't matter how clean and wonderful the resort looks. It's still Mexico.

Things to Do:

Mazatlan: First time we toured the Sierra Madres. Signed up with the ship because it was an all day affair. Boy was this worth it. We stopped at a furniture making village (where they made furniture in front of you out of mesquite and ironwood); brick making village (adobe block). Stopped at a restaurant half into the mountains (I remember very tasty) and then the rest of the trip was in the mountains. We took this excursion because we were always taught about the Sierra Madre mountain ranges and here was a full-fledged opportunity to walk/hike around in them. Took up the entire day (maybe a small amount of time at the end for shopping.)

We have hired taxi drivers. We told him what we were interested in and asked how much he would charge for 4 hours. We also told him we would pay him at the end of our trip. I think you're charged by the taxi, not the people. I say this because I remember sharing the cab with two other couples (instant "cruise friends").

We have seen the cliff divers (be prepared to be pan handled); beautiful missions; schools; outdoor market; houses; the island (which isn't very big). I remember walking around a neighborhood and a lady was cleaning her porch. I asked her (in Spanish) if we could look at her house. I told her it was so beautiful (and quaint). She proudly showed us the first two main rooms of the house.

Cabo: First time we took the Glass Bottom Boat Tour (okay, real tourists). But it was fun. Next time we hired a boat and did our own snorkeling. Went by the arc and had a blast. Be careful of jelly fish. Lots of fun. I think the same time we did the Glass Bottom Boat was when we ended up on a beach by the resorts. We watched the para-sailing, jet skiing, etc. We walked around the resorts (mostly built and owned by a developer from Tucson). Third time was when we went whale watching.

Puerto Vallarta: The safest and cleanest of all the stops. First time there were 10 of us who pitched in and rented a van. First stop was a restaurant. Probably spent more time watching the other 8 eat and drink. We weren't too keen on eating there. You see, right outside this restaurant was a creek. In this creek was the cook cleaning the pots and pans AND the village children swimming, jumping off of ropes AND washing their clothes (and themselves).

Again, rented a snorkel boat with other couples and did the snorkeling thing in Puerto Vallarta as well. I think this is where there is Senor Frog's (perhaps in all three places) and a very nice shopping/ downtown area. Puerto Vallarta does not tolerate crime, graffiti, gangs, drugs, trash on the street, etc. Very different from other places that we have been to.

As for "Mexican Food", we love ethnic food. Living in Tucson exposes us to some wonderful culinary opportunities. Other than a ship sponsored food event, I wouldn't think about eating in Mexico. Sorry if it sounds snobby. I just don't want to risk being sick my entire vacation. We had "touristas" once and that was enough.