• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Rough Seas and Stormy Weather

Rate this topic

deckhand

Does anyone care to share any experiences with bad weather and rough seas while sailing? I have sailed on 21 or so cruises.. and I have been very lucky. Nothing too severe, though while sailing on the Zuiderdam this past February, there were sea sickness bags placed at various locations on the ship. Had I not stayed on my back, I would have been sick. I have never felt the need for dramamine, how well does it work?.. :mellow:

Does anyone care to share any experiences with bad weather and rough seas while sailing? I have sailed on 21 or so cruises.. and I have been very lucky. Nothing too severe, though while sailing on the Zuiderdam this past February, there were sea sickness bags placed at various locations on the ship. Had I not stayed on my back, I would have been sick. I have never felt the need for dramamine, how well does it work?.. :mellow:

For the rare times we feel the pitch of the ocean.. we go for the ginger ale .. works great.

On our 1st cruise, we went through the edge of a hurricane, I was using the patch, and never once felt sick. My wife was using Bonine, and felt a bit queasy, but could have been much worse. We're both extremely susceptible to motion illness, and if that cruise didn't get us, nothing will. There were people lying in the hallways looking as green as you can be. Dramamine is much more of a sedative than Bonine, so consequently will make you more tired. From the things I've read on the cruise boards, Bonine will do just as good a job as Dramamine. Other remedies such as ginger and acupressure work for lots of people also. Enjoy.

On our Alaskan cruise my DH felt the need to use Dramamine. We were on the way back to Vancouver and had to venture out into the Pacific for a bit - the ship was a-rockin'! Anyway... the Dramamine knocked him out - he even slept through some great whale-watching experiences. He just didn't care at the time!

I'm very fortunate that I don't get seasick. The motion doesn't bother me for the mostpart. We have traveled through rough seas 3 or 4 times and the only close call I ever had was very rough seas and a forward cabin! When I went mid ship I was fine. So no forwards for me anymore! Ginger ale works great for my son too.

We've had several bad winds on ships. On our Rotterdam Canada/New England cruise, we had a force 9 gale (47 to 54 MPH), and the ship really was rocking and rolling. We also got caught in Mistral winds in the Med. that prevented us from sailing into Minorca. That was on a small ship (the Wind Surf), and it was really rough. Joan had sea bands, and took some bonine, both times. I didn't take any medicine; but Joan insists that my skin turned a lovely shade of green.

Myself I dont get seasick since i went overseas to Korea and vietnam on a transport ship, Annie gets seasick and takes Ginger or Bonine, hey Joey thanks for the headsup about Gingerale, probably got Ginger in it!! :tongue::thumbup:

If we hit rough seas I generally take a Bonine. Never been sick (knock on wood) and the Bonine doesn't make you sleepy like the Dramamine does.

I wish we knew about the Bonine when my DH got a little whoozy! Do you know if they have it on the ships?.....because he went to the pursers desk and they gave him the Dramamine.

There's only one time while on a cruise that I felt a little queasy - the ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland - I just chewed some gum and that seemed to help!