• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

serenade of the seas

Rate this topic

shadow

I live 15 minutes away from the dock, and see the ship every weekend on my way to work. Plus, I used to work on the Radiance (sister ship) when it was up in Alaska for 3 seasons...so I have a pretty good understanding of the climate.

Basically, the weather here is so all over the place that it's almost impossible to predict. It was hot and sunny yesterday, cold and rainy today...and who knows what it'll be tomorrow. People here say "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes". It works.

So, bring layers...that's the best advice I can give. Layers...and something that will keep you dry. You may also want some good hiking shoes, since Alaska is best appreciated off the beaten track. There are great hikes in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (the Dewey Lake hike in Skagway is amazing...but not for the timid). But, it can also get really hot...but this late in the season, it's not likely (but it is possible).

Also, be forewarned that the immediate neighbourhood in Vancouver where the ship docks is HORRIBLE. It has the highest HIV rate in North America, has the lowest per-capita income of any neighbourhood in Canada, and is a place where you can see people shooting heroin and smoking crack out in the open. It's really too bad the RCL ships don't go to Canada Place downtown, because that is a far nicer place to start and end your cruise. It's the third world, basically...so don't go wandering around or else you may find yourself in a position you didn't want to find yourself in.

It's really that bad...

Vancouver_GAL01_JANFEB08.jpg

Image7.gif

0930drug500big.jpg

img_6505.jpg

143576783_1832b0b12e.jpg?v=0

1558450328_9529790d3c.jpg?v=1192480995

insite_frontdoor.jpg

prv020403safeinjection06a_a.jpg

042908.jpg

Hate to bring people down, but you'll be really glad when the ship pulls away...it's like a third world nation right near the docks.