• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Port cancellations

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

I just saw that Princess cancelled the 1st port of call, Huatulco for our Panama canal cruise. While this in itself doesn't bother me I am concerned about some sort of refund or OBC. Afterall we are paying for this port. The reason given was "operational issues" whatever that means. So what can i do? i've emailed Princess about this. Has anyone else ever booked a cruise only to have a port cancelled after booking and if so what was done, if anything in the way of compencation. Thank you. Larry

Larry, we had our ports changed a few years back on a Carnival cruise but it was due to possible impending weather, so not sure the same rules would apply. However, we were told that the cruiseline does reserve the right to alter the course of the ship at it's discretion, so you should read up on Princess'es policy on that.

We've had ports cancelled onroute due to weather, but never in advance of a cruise. If you're a member of the "critical board", you might look on the Princess and Princess roll call forums to see if the ship is having pod problems. That's the usual reason for "operational reasons" cancellations.

In any event, the fine print in your cruise contract probably says that the cruise line has the right to change itineraries without reason or compensation. Sometimes they'll give a small shipboard credit, but not always.

If cancelling the port is a big deal to you and makes you want to pass on taking the cruise, call your TA and see what he or she can do.

Gosh I would hope the ship is not having mech. isues. That could mean big problems, at least to me. Missing Huatulco is not an issue to me. I mean the Canal is the major attraction here. Now if this was a Baltic cruise and they decided to cancel say stockholm that would bug me. I would hope from a PR POV they would give some compensation, say a nominal OBC but of course this would translate to alot of money for all passengers. We'll see what they do. Who knows maybe they will add another port. I do realize all one can do is ask for some compensation but they are under no obligation to do so. Thank you. Larry :smile:

Sometimes they give you a small refund of the port charges and sometimes they extend the time in a port or 2 depending on the itinerary. They truthfully according to the contract don't have to do anything. I've never had a port cancelled before the cruise, we've had a substitute port in it's place a few times.

• 1 month later...

Royal Caribbean just cancelled Tortola off of many of the Explorer 12 night cruises and turning it into a sea day and is only refunding the $11 taxes.

I understand that the contract says they can anything they want and I also understand making changes due to weather or emergenceis, but I finally got RCCL to admit that this change was because it was not "cost effective" to stop at Tortola. We now have 3 sea days in a row heading back to NJ so they can sail slower and save fuel.

To me this is not an acceptable behaviour, but since the other cruises I was looking at when I booked this one last Jan have increased in price, it really is not feasible to make a change at this point.