• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Florida is U.S. cruise capital

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

Florida leads the nation, not only in the number of passengers leaving on their cruises from the state's ports, but also in the number of residents who take cruise vacations, according to a study commissioned for Cruise Lines International Association. The study found that North American cruise industry contributed $6.06 billion in direct spending to Florida’s economy in 2007, up 3.6 percent from the previous year. That spending generated 126,546 jobs and $5.2 billion in income.

Last year, nearly 5 million people boarded cruise ships from one of five Florida ports – Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Tampa and Jacksonville. Floridians made up nearly 2.3 million, or 25 percent, of all U.S. resident passengers.

Among other key Florida findings:

• Florida's tourism-related businesses – such as travel agencies, airlines, hotels, restaurants and those that provide ground transportation – were the main beneficiaries of the cruise industry's $6.06 billion in spending, receiving $2.4 billion.

• An additional $835 million was spent with businesses in the following sectors: food processors, chemical manufacturers, advertising agencies, management and technical consulting companies, and manpower agencies.

• Florida continues to have the nation’s top three ports for passenger embarkations: Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral.

• Port embarkations in 2006: Miami (1,893,000); Port Canaveral (1,298,000); Port Everglades (1,289,000); Tampa (367,000); Jacksonville (130,000).

• Florida benefits as the primary home to cruise line headquarters for the top three cruise companies that own three-fourths of the North American industry cruise capacity: Carnival Corp. & PLC, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and NCL Corp. Overall, these three companies employ more than 14,500 people representing 40 percent of the cruise industry employment in the U.S.

Nationally, cruise line and passenger spending generated $38 billion in gross economic output, a 6.4 percent increase over 2006, and generated 354,700 American jobs paying $15.4 billion in wages and salaries.

Direct spending by cruise lines, their employees and passengers totaled $18.7 billion

Im guessing Florida leads in other tourism venues as well (them parks).

So Joey, where is the most active port worldwide?

according to my information as far as Cruising goes.. which does not include the shipping industry The Port of Miami is the world's busiest port

according to my information as far as Cruising goes.. which does not include the shipping industry The Port of Miami is the world's busiest port

Wow. You're good!

I wonder what NYC did back in the 80's when they were by themselves up here with a lot of ships.

I think the glory days of sailinjg from NYC were much earlier - maybe the 50's. The sailings from NYC were mostly straight ocean crossings, with a few cruises to Bermuda mixed in. That was killed by jet planes. Now Cunard is the only line with regular Transatlantic crossings from NYC, and even those are not year round.

It's no surprise to me that Florida is the U.S. cruising capital. After all, the Caribbean is very popular, and very convenient for Floridians. Even the heat hating Machs have taken two cruises from there (a one nighter from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas on the MS Freeport, and our first Caribbean cruise, from Tampa on the Horizon); but a third is unlikely given our dislike of hot weather locations.

Wow. You're good!

Please forward your opinions to David..... :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the Port of New York was very busy in the 60's, 70', and early 80's. They had both Home Lines and HAL sending 2 ships a piece to both the Bahamas and Bermuda every week from April to Oct. During winter months they did 10 to 14 night Caribbean cruises. In addition, You had Sea Venture (later the first Princess ships) Incres Lines, Italian Line, Swedish America and Norwegian America doing a combination of Caribbean and TransAtlantics. This is in additional to the traditional Cunard departures. I'm sure I forget to name a few of the others.

Mark