• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Help with 1st Alaska Cruise

Rate this topic

jlee2070

Hello,

I'm considering taking a N/S Bound Alaska Tour in early September. We have cruised a few times but never to Alaska and never with Princess (have done Royal and Carnival). Can I get some opinions/experiences on weather, what to plan for, and what to do....

Considering the Princess' Diamond Princess, South Bound, on September 5th (7 Nights).

What weather should I prepare for in September (or should I consider a different time)?

Cabin Type... Is it worth getting an Outside Cabin vs something less expensive such as an Inside Cabin?

What activities should I not miss?

Bring it on!!!! :biggrin:

hi and welcome to cruisecrazies...

as for weather plan on mid 30's for highs when you get close to glaciers...

and as far as cabin we booked an inside stateroom and had no problem considering Alaska is one of those itineraries you find yourself on deck more than on a veranda or looking out a window..

joey

A friend of mine took an Alaska cruise in Sept. I'm not sure when exactly but it was a repositioning cruise so it was the last Alaskan cruise of the season and then went to the Caribbean. And he said it was pretty cold on deck. :unsure: I do know we finished our Alaska cruise around August 28th. Anyway we completed it in Seattle and that night watched Katrine demolish N.O. from our TV in a Seattle hotel. We finished our cruise about 10 days B4 you would begin yours and I can say we had fair weather. Rain was more of an issue that the cold.

Hi, we have cruised twice to Alaska, once in May and the other time the last cruise out - the third week of September over hubby's birthday. The weather in Alaska is very fickle. One year people are wearing T-shirts and then the next year they are wearing parka's on the same date. We found that sweaters were just perfect for the trip, with a jacket packed for excursions or times out on deck.

We did have balcony cabins on both cruises... and I wouldn't have had it any other way. We loved it out there especially while cruising the glacier areas. The scenery is to die for!! We went on deck a couple of times, but mostly enjoyed our own balcony, and if it got too cold we could just slip into the warm cabin.

Having said that - we had excellent weather. Nowhere near freezing. Only while we were alongside the glaciers (a few hours) it was about 40 degrees.

Otherwise, we enjoyed the heated pool and spa under the glass cover and the coffee's they were selling on deck laced with all kinds of alcohol. A good way to keep warm.

Inside the ship you don't need sweaters at all.... unless you are one who usually freezes in the theater :biggrin:

With regards to excursions, I would say the flight on to a glacier to go on a mushing trip with huskies would be a total highlight!!!!! We also enjoyed the Salmon Bake in Juneau (inclusive of live music) alongside a stream where you can pan for gold. And of course the other GREAT excursion is to go whale watching. We went on a late afternoon whale watching cruise which included a dinner on board... it was outstanding!!

Hope we have answered a few questions for you.

Hello,

I'm considering taking a N/S Bound Alaska Tour in early September. We have cruised a few times but never to Alaska and never with Princess (have done Royal and Carnival). Can I get some opinions/experiences on weather, what to plan for, and what to do....

Considering the Princess' Diamond Princess, South Bound, on September 5th (7 Nights).

What weather should I prepare for in September (or should I consider a different time)?

Cabin Type... Is it worth getting an Outside Cabin vs something less expensive such as an Inside Cabin?

What activities should I not miss?

Bring it on!!!! :biggrin:

Alaska is one of our favorite place to cruise! Princess did a nice job with Alaska. They have a naturalist on board to point out things along the way at the glaciers. We haven't been on the Diamond so can't comment on her. We have gone in May, June and July but we have always found that layers of clothing are very helpful. Also it rains often in Alaska so I would get some ponchos (you can get them at the Dollar store) to wear over your clothes.

Cabin is a personal choice, we prefer balconies for the unobstructed view no matter the weather.

I loved walking on the glacier and we did a flightseeing over Misty Fjords, definitely 2 highlights of all our cruises. We also really enjoyed the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan.

If you give us a better idea of what you like to do I'm sure someone here can help.

Hi. we've been on 2 Alaskan cruises. One in July, and one in May. Certainly, layering is the best way to pack for Alaska. Even in July, the temp was in the 40's when you're around the glaciers. You will have rain at certain points of the cruise. After all, you are sailing through a rain forest. I'm not sure where you live, but a whale watch excursion was a must for us. It was incredible. Also, if you're going to Skagway, the White Pass railroad is a spectacular excursion.

We always sail in a cabin with a balcony, but in Alaska, we found it essential (at least for us). There is rarely a point in the trip when you do not have some spectacular sights to see. We didn't want to miss anything. Our 1st cruise to Alaska was our 1st Princess cruise (Island Princess), and we fell in love with Princess. At this point, Princess is our favorite line, but we will sail on others (I guess we're just fickle). Enjoy.

Excursions are inseparable for total enjoyment of an Alaskan cruise. My suggestion is to see what is offered as the options are many and quite varied. Then pick what appeals to you most. We were very happy doing this. For us the heli ride to Mendenhall in Juneau, the Whitepass RR in Skagway, and the whale watch in Victoria did the trick. We were also pleased with the boat ride to the interior in Ketchican which included a stop to see the totems and a tour of an abandoned salmon canning plant. Could have done without this though while on its grounds we did see an eagle nest. That was better than the plant. :rolleyes2::smile:

I would agree with Howard, in saying that a balcony is essential in Alaska. I also agree with Jacket is saying that excursions are inseperable with an Alaskan cruise.... it is the one cruise that just walking the towns DOES NOT give you the "feel" of Alaska - they are a must!

We also went on the Diamond Princess to Alaska, she is one of the most beautiful ships that we have been on. We loved her!!! So many dining options too - you are going to love this ship.