• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Help with 1st Alaska Cruise

Rate this topic

jlee2070

I guess I'll offer a slightly differing opinion here. When we cruised on the Diamond Princess in Sep 2005 for an Inside Passage cruise, we booked a two room suite at the very front of the ship. When you look at a picture of the ship, it's the balcony that curves. Perhaps further back on the ship would offer better use of the balcony, but ours was virtually unusable for most of the trip due to the wind. We didn't have a windblock at all. Also, it was uncovered, so when it rained (which was most of the time) we didn't get much use.

We DID get to use it on our trip up Tracey Arm; but we could just as well gone topside for that.

I think the others have covered most everything. We sailed in August and in September. August that year was warm, shirt-sleeve weather in Juneau and comfortable in Skagway and Ketchikan. Ketchikan is the rainiest place in Alaska, they claim. The glaciers are cold while viewing due to the ice and icy water. Layering clothes is the best, and carry a small foldable poncho for rain when it does come.

The first year we rented cars in the ports and drove around for our excursion, as we had our two teens with us. By the way, they spend the day in the hot tub on deck while we were in Glacier Bay!

We did do a Salmon Bake in Juneau this year, and rode the tram up Mt Roberts to take hike.

If you've never been to Alaska, I strongly recommend you read James Michener's Alaska before you go to understand the place better.

I'd say that if money is an issue, do the inside cabin and enjoy the sights from public rooms and on deck. I think either the balcony or the inside. By the way, on a southbound trip, the port side balconies or windows would be the best views.