• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Specialty Dining

Rate this topic

If you have not cruised before, then you may not be aware of specialty dining. If you have, then you know that the Specialty Restaurant Concept has taken the cruise industry by storm.

This exclusive restaurant which is known for serving entrées not available elsewhere on board ship, is much more than an alternative place to dine, it is a money making entity that is growing in popularity. It has almost has become "required" as part of that cruises "experience".

The $30 per person cover charge, is just for the meal itself, wine if you so choose is extra of course, and a good sommelier will try to suggest a different wine with every course.

Of course you may decline the entire wine service. We have! It's totally up to you.. But I wondered...

How do you feel about paying to eat at an "Exclusive Restaurant" while on your cruise?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that the law of demand and supply (ha!) has contributed to Speciality Dining. We don't gravitate toward it. My sister and brother-in-law, however, eat Speciality Dining every night that they cruise. But, they are huge meat-a-tarians and feel that they are getting more than their money's worth.

Jerry and I are more than happy to wait for that special entree throughout the week.

I'm guessing that the law of demand and supply (ha!) has contributed to Speciality Dining. We don't gravitate toward it. My sister and brother-in-law, however, eat Speciality Dining every night that they cruise. But, they are huge meat-a-tarians and feel that they are getting more than their money's worth.

Jerry and I are more than happy to wait for that special entree throughout the week.

we enjoy it if they have a harpist we request a table close by

We have only done it three times and were very happy with the results and thought it was well worth the extra $$$ we paid. The food was superb but...what was extra special - the service was more personal.

We usually do it once on each cruise. The food is definately better but it is also a much quieter dining experience than the hustle and bustle of the main dining room. A nice quiet table for two right by the window at sunset is well worth the price we pay.

We have traveled with people that eat in the specialty restaurants every night. That is a bit much IMHO.