• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign of the times: Celebrity Cruises to deploy ship in the Caribbean year-round

Rate this topic

mercedes

With demand stagnating for voyages in Europe and Alaska, Celebrity Cruises is taking another look at that old standby cruise destination, the Caribbean.

The Miami-based premium line, which usually sends all seven of its ships sailing across the oceans to Europe and Alaska during the summers, officially announced this week that it'll be keeping one of its vessels -- the Celebrity Century -- closer to home starting in 2010.

Celebrity says the 1,814-passenger Century will sail four- and five-night Caribbean itineraries year-round out of Miami start in May 2010. The voyages opened for sale Thursday.

The five-night sailings will alternate between two different itineraries. One, which is new for the line, features calls at Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel. The other five-night itinerary, similar to past offerings, offers stops in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and George Town. The four-night itinerary will feature visits to Key West and Cozumel.

The last time Celebrity had a ship in the Caribbean for a summer season was in 2004.

Executives from several lines have said recently that pricing for Caribbean voyages has been holding up much better than pricing for European and Alaskan trips as cruisers look for less pricey, closer-to-home vacations.

Which begs the question: "Why isn't it a 7 nighter?" Might be because in a given season they will have more "turns". Which may involve more "on board" revenue. Perhaps their data shows that during the first five days everyone has pretty much spent what they are going to spend, so lets get them off and bring some newbies aboard.

Which begs the question: "Why isn't it a 7 nighter?" Might be because in a given season they will have more "turns". Which may involve more "on board" revenue. Perhaps their data shows that during the first five days everyone has pretty much spent what they are going to spend, so lets get them off and bring some newbies aboard.

[/size][/size] I think it has more to do with people being more able to get away for more four or five day mini-vacations than for a full week or two. Especially if you have to travel to the port that the ship is sailing from.

Another thought - 4-5 nighters... the crew make more money in a month than they do on 7 day cruises or longer. I know the tips stay the same per day no matter what, but more people tip over and above. I also think many like to cruise the shorter cruises.... DON'T LOOK AT ME... NOT ME... but as the previous poster said for those coming from out of state and only having a week.. this allows them travel time as well.