• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Can you really tell the difference..

Rate this topic

Over the past few months it seems the cruise industry in order to stay afloat has instituted a number of "cost Cutting" "Revenue generating" ideas that really leave me wondering whether or not we will at the end of the day be able to distinguish main stream cruise lines from one another ... other than uniforms and logo of course..

Along with the introduction of the MEGA ships, comes the introduction and public education of how to most efficiently move masses of people from point a to point b while maintaining that "we treat you special".

I realize that removing chocolates from pillows and charging $$ for "the best steak" might be great for the P&L bottom line for a quarter or two.. but it is not in my opinion the way to build that all important repeat customer base in which companies require for sustained success.

If the main stream cruise lines continue in this direction I personally feel Prices of cruises will continue to go down..as they will do anything to fill the ships figuring on recouping the lost revenue $ from guests once on board..

Imagine if you will a day where you book your cruises ala cart .. you pay for linen and pillows..you pay for all you can eat buffet or dining room privileges ..you can pay a surcharge and eat at both but not at specialty dining that will cost extra ( they might even develop the concept of pay toilets ...(just out side of the bars and lounges of course).. It may not be that far down the road..

I can almost guarantee you it will happen unless the cruising public stands up and together says this is unacceptable!

I feel the cruise lines are banking on the fact most will say ..... "Hey I don't care.... it's a cruise!"

Just something I have been thinking about..

Would love to get your take..

Joey

(This post is JMO)

Well Joey it looks very much like all cruise lines are heading the way of Ocean Village Cruise and/or Easy Cruise where you virtually pay for everything. What this will do of course is drive more people to the All Inclusive Land Holidays. If Cuba opens up for Americans you will be amazed what you get for the dollar. And the beaches are fabulous. As I mentioned on an earlier post, if it wasn't for the lack of smoking restrictions at these resorts, we would take more of them. I love cruising but don't like the direction it's heading. If it gets any worse this nickel and diming, then we too will seek other kinds of vacation.

The cruise lines are asking for BIG trouble if they continue their money grabbing ways.

Regards,

James.

I agree with the nickel and diming..... but many people have had to take a close look at their budgets and on our last cruise we encountered a few couples who said that they used to cruise Celebrity but with all the activities available on the sister company's (RCI) ships, they feel that they get much more bang for their buck. I will say this about RCI even though we lost the personal toiletries and chocolates on the pillow their staff are still amazing... the happiest and most helpful on the high seas.. IMHO!

I agree with what you said Joey. I feel that eventually they will be shooting themselves in the foot with all the nickel and diming. Passengers are finding creative ways to cut corners for example doing there own shore excursions, smuggling liquor, etc.

In the end only the strong lines will survive............

I really think that, in my mind, the nickle and diming is not a bad thing. I can pick and choose the things I want to spend my money on. One thing that you can be sure of is that you never get anything for nothing. In the all-inclusive land facilities, nothing is free. You pay upfront for everything. The same can be said for the all-inclusive cruises. The difference is that at any of the all-inclusives, if you don't use something that may be included in the price, you still pay for it. Nickle and diming for me is a great way to hold down the price, and let me pay for what I want.

I really think that, in my mind, the nickle and diming is not a bad thing. I can pick and choose the things I want to spend my money on. One thing that you can be sure of is that you never get anything for nothing. In the all-inclusive land facilities, nothing is free. You pay upfront for everything. The same can be said for the all-inclusive cruises. The difference is that at any of the all-inclusives, if you don't use something that may be included in the price, you still pay for it. Nickle and diming for me is a great way to hold down the price, and let me pay for what I want.

Howard let me follow up.....don't you find the nickle and diming takes away from the "fantasy"?

Howard let me follow up.....don't you find the nickle and diming takes away from the "fantasy"?

It's not the nickel and diming that does that. It's more the constant sales pitches to get you to buy everything. I've been on enough cruises now to be able to turn them off in my head, but that only works to a point.

It's not the nickel and diming that does that. It's more the constant sales pitches to get you to buy everything. I've been on enough cruises now to be able to turn them off in my head, but that only works to a point.

so if i understand you ...it's not the action of nickle and diming .. it's the volume that that they use to entice you .. spend those nickles and dimes....that you find disturbing..

Having just returned from the Ruby Princess I was amazed when I attempted to order tomato juice in the evening from room service. I was told Princess is now charging $ 1.70 per glass (small, no TINY !!glasses) from room service in the afternoon/evening. It is only free in the mornings. This also applies to orange juice. So I just ordered 6 to 8 glasses from room service in the mornings and put in the frig. for consumption later in the day...no problem.....